Long Shot Blog

jerryg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the kind words. Sorry it took a while to reply. Been busy trying to earn some money to pay for the next boat!

Also been doing lots of paddling. Really like the way the boat handles in the rougher waters and moving into the wind. Very smooth and clean.

I'm happy.

Thanks again to everyone for your support and help.

I think this thread is done.

Peace.

• 4 years later...

Hi, Jerry. Realize this is a old post, but I'm hoping you might check it anyway. I've been struggling to find the right paint for my Ravenswood... and I see you used the Tremclad. I tried a test piece and found the Tremclad to soak through my 6 oz poly and form drips on the backside. Can you tell me a little about your experience with that paint?

I tried a test piece and found the Tremclad to soak through my 6 oz poly and form drips on the backside.

Not Jerry nor am I in Canada, but if you are getting drips on the backside of fabric you must be putting way to much paint on at on time!

Paint should go on in several thin coats, not in thick coats. When you get a run that is because it to thick. So if you are getting drips on the back side that tells me you are putting WAY to much paint on at a time.  How are you applying the paint?

You're absolutely right Jeff; I started using a bristle brush and found I couldn't control the amount of paint going on - WAY too much. I did a couple more test patches with a roller and with a foam brush and found it went on much better! As you mentioned in your video, I found the foam brushes far more impressive than I thought they'd be.

I have brushed boats with a foam brush but the roller, properly used, is my go to method.  Then I do the edges around the coaming with a foam brush.

Three coats usually does it, but it depends on how heavy you put it on. Simplest way to check is darken the room and place a bright light inside the boat. Then look along the outside for pinholes of lights.