B&B mess-about 2011

Designer

I just wanted to make sure that everyone is aware that the mess-about will be on again as usual. While hurricane Irene set us back, we are now functioning normally.

As usual the mess-about will be on the last weekend in October Starting Friday October 28 for those that arrive early and going through Sunday Oct. 30.

You do not need a boat to attend, just come and enjoy yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, new guy here, I just found out about this get together on the weekend and have tried to finish up my work so I could attend. I'm in East Central NJ near Sandy Hook. If anyone is driving down from the New York, CT, or New Jersey area could you please send me an email. I would like to attend for Friday,Saturday and Sunday; and would share the road expenses down and back. I'd much rather ride down with another sailor and give them $200 then Greyhound! If I must I'll close my eyes and get on one of those chinatown buses from NYC LOL!

I have only 1 bag with me as I'll be camping on the ground while there. (I'm an experienced ultralight camper)

Thanks, Gene

@pat mosca 16 sub

aol

.com

We are getting a lot of calls for directions to the Mess-about. Here are the directions from last year. Whether coming from north or south, head for New Bern NC and pick up SR 55 east about 14 miles and then follow the google map. For GPS address plug in 342 Chapel Creek Drive, Bayboro 28515. The GPS map is off by a few hundred yards, just follow the map when the GPS disagrees with the map.

post-2-0-76279700-1319692934_thumb.jpg

We are getting a lot of calls for directions to the Mess-about. Here are the directions from last year. Whether coming from north or south, head for New Bern NC and pick up SR 55 east about 14 miles and then follow the google map. For GPS address plug in 342 Chapel Creek Drive, Bayboro 28515. The GPS map is off by a few hundred yards, just follow the map when the GPS disagrees with the map.

post-2-0-76279700-1319692934_thumb.jpg

GPS = getting people lost farther from civilization since 1995!

The weather was no friend to us this year. Compared to what they had up north we cannot complain too much. There was a good group for Friday nights dinner, Saturday was cold overcast and dreary and only the courageous went sailing. Sunday slowly warmed up and turned out great, here is a picture of Tom and Allan testing out Lapwing's new wishbones.

post-127-0-07862400-1320029221_thumb.jpg

Sunday made up for the miserable Saturday and Allan and I had a great sail on the Bay River. The wishbone booms worked very nicely and need only a bit of fiddling to make them as good as can be. I made these at a chord ratio of 8:1 and thought that might be more than needed. As the photo shows, it is barely enough. The heavy crease in he mizzen is caused by the lead of the sheet off the boom to the mast tilting the boom and is easily corrected by moving the turning block higher. I made the booms so that the forward joint can be separated to allow mounting the booms after the masts are set up. This turns out to be even more important than I thought as it would be very awkward to set the masts with the booms straddling the mast hole, especially at the bow. I can see that you could easily step on the boom while stepping the mast and either break the boom, drop the mast or flip yourself overboard.

Mizzen is 5 laminates to 1 1/8" square section with fir on the outside laminates and cypress on the 3 inside ones. Any lightweight wood is fine for the inside laminates and I used what was at hand. Main is the same but is 1 1/4" square. The springback matched the calculated 1/2" and the booms are stiff enough for the sail area of Lapwing. A larger sailplan might need more cross section.

The wrinkles on the sail luffs are the result of having only a single part to the tack down hauls. A double part rig will only need another block and some longer line.

The result of the first sail with these booms is positive as far as sailshape and general impression of performance and confirms my thoughts resulting from racing against other boats in WoodenBoat's Wood Regatta . The other side of the story is that these booms are much more effort to build and more stuff to deal with in setting up. Once set up, they are no different in handling. Transporting the wishbooms is another negative point also. For daysailing other than racing, the original very simple straight sprit would still be my first choice.

The photos show the end connections. All stainless fittings were shopmade and that might also be a problem to locate suitable off the shelf hardware. The nut shown on the forward 1/4" bolt joint was replaced by a wingnut so no tools are needed to set up. The pad on the bottom is to give more support to prevent sag from gravity.

post-162-0-00666900-1320069775_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-37678100-1320069788_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-23538900-1320069801_thumb.jpg

Glad to hear they worked well Tom, sure were a fine bit of wood work as always. Will be changing to your sheet system too on Shaliste (don't tell Graham :-). Had a great but too short weekend and fun to gather and share ideas. Thanks all attendees for their ideas and help, and the Byrnes family for their great hospitality as always. Think my friend Guy was smitten by the new Mandy/Amanda 12 :-). See ya on the water. Rick

• Like 1

Here are a few more detail images of Tom Lathrop's beautifully built wishbone sprit-booms.

Tom noted that he finds it important to be able to separate the forward joint. The forward end of the boom has two bolts: only the bolt with the wing-nut presses the two sides together, the other bolt helps maintain alignment. Right Tom?

I think these would ride well at anchor if kept up and level with topping lifts.

--Paul

post-538-0-07741200-1320370136_thumb.jpg

post-538-0-07092100-1320370143_thumb.jpg

post-538-0-42372100-1320370152_thumb.jpg

post-538-0-31714700-1320370161_thumb.jpg

post-538-0-97130400-1320370166_thumb.jpg

• 8 years later...
On 11/1/2011 at 1:03 AM, Tom Lathrop said:

The springback matched the calculated 1/2" and the booms are stiff enough for the sail area of Lapwing. A larger sailplan might need more cross section.

Hi Tom, I'm thinking about building wishbone booms for my Lapwing, and wondered about the technique you employed when building yours.  Am I correct in assuming that for your 8:1 chord ratio for the finished wishbone you made a jig for half of that total depth (plus half an inch) and bent the 5 glued pieces for each side of the wishbone around it?

Thanks, Peter