It just don't get any better!

Tom Lathrop

Saturday, Sept. 17 was my 80th birthday and I had the great good fortune to be able to sail with my sons in one of our annual regattas in Oriental. Along with a full quota of crew, we sailed a Rhodes Reliant 41 Yawl to first place in our division. The photo shows son Mark on the left and Tim on the right with the Old Goat on the wheel. Great winds of 15 to 20+ that allowed the old canoe to do her best in competition with the newer and faster rated boats. The waters of the Neuse are still a bit brown instead of blue after Irene did her thing.

On Sunday afternoon, mate Liz had a birthday bash for me with a barbeque pig, fried chicken and all the fixins to feed the multitudes, including your favorite designer Graham, along with Carla and Beth. There was music by friends and family and reading of limericks, many of them roasting the Old Goat to a well done state.

To win a race on my 80th could have been a goal when I was younger if I had ever considered such a possibility. To have such a gaggle of friends and family around to enjoy it with was beyond imagination.

• Like 2