Does anyone remember a post about pivoting mast steps?

sitearch

All,

I am stumped. I remember a post about a system someone developed to help step his unstayed mast. As I recall it was a metal ring on a pivot anchored to the deck. He would insert the end of the mast into the ring to lock it in place while he walked the mast upright. Then he could lower the mast into the step. I remember that the builder made a comment that it was not that pretty but it sure helped him lift the mast into place. I remember the deck was finished bright.

Does anyone remember who that was or the post? I have tried searching for mast steps, mast pivots, tabernacles etc. but the search doesn't come up with anything.

Bob

CS#199

Alaska

No one remembers this? I have asked Graham but have not received a response yet. Surely Ray or Wes know who this is or remember it. Maybe you do Joe?

I think I can build it from this picture but I would like to verify the details. Seems pretty handy to me....my mast gets heavier every time I lift it...

Bob

CS#199

Alaska

I can't recall the builder's name, though I know I came across this a long time ago. Looks like 1/4" ply cheeks with maybe a couple of pieces of 1x2 for reinforcement. A rotating collar made of PVC on a pair of bolts for the pivot point. Plus two more bolts on each side down into the hull to hold the thing in place. Doesn't look too difficult to make.

Do you have a pic of your third mast step position with your cuddy? I'm wondering if, in your case, it might make more sense to make a pivoting foot for the base of the mast, with a "gate" to latch the mast in place at the top of the mounting area... the way some smaller sailing dinghies are set up. It would be easier than trying to lift the mast up and threading it down through a hole in the deck or cuddy. But it depends on how close your third mast step is to the edge of the deck, thwart, or cuddy roof (whatever is surrounding it). You would have to cut away some material to turn the hole into an open throat, and then have room to mount a gate to close the throat again once the mast is in place. I hope that made sense... I don't know the technical terminology for what I'm trying to describe. I just know I've seen it done on some small sailboats to make stepping the mast quite easy.

I can't see that needing to hold much weight as the masts do not weight that much compared to other boats. When my wife can hold the bottom in place with one hand to make it quicker for me to put the mast up.

I tried out a 1x4x6 on the ground with a 1"x1" square on it to step the mast as I pushed it up (looking at ways to make it easier in water), and found the piece held the bottom of the aluminum very easily. After it's raised you just move it over a couple inches into the hole.

- Edward

http://cumberlandsound.blogspot.com

I can't find a very good picture of the idea I was suggesting, but here is the closest I could find... I don't know if this would work for your third mast position since I haven't seen the cuddy details, but in this picture, I'm fairly certain that this boat has a pivoting foot fixed to the hull bottom (for the bottom of the mast). You insert the mast, then lift it and push forward into a U-shaped cutout in the aft edge of the forward deck. Once in place, a little metal gate folds down or slides across the open part of the U to lock the mast in place so it cannot fall back out.

I don't know if this is a feasible mod for your boat or not, but if it is, it would mean you don't even have to lift the mast up to thread it down through a hole in the top deck. Instead, you would just cut the upper hole into an open U and install a gate. Then you could make something like the pivoting PVC contraption for the foot of the mast. If it worked, it would be about as easy a stepping a mast can get.

post-354-0-66298200-1314883625_thumb.jpg

It isn't always easy even with the stepper helper. I had stepper helpers for all three mast positons.

My masts are 22'.

Before I had sail tracks, I put the mizzen in the reefing postion on a windy day and Jane and I put the CS20 in the water. It was real windy. We did not stay out long and we were happy to stay right side up. After we pulled the boat out we were in the parking lot with the wind blowing from the stern. I got the mast up to the top of the deck but could not pull it down into the wind. I had to put a line on the mast and have someone give a tug to get it down.

The wind line for the park said it was blowing 35 with gusts to 43.

Sorry Wes, didn't get to take that picture for you , but I have added one that shows the interior a little bit. It may not work because it is a small movie clip and I am not sure this site will accept it, but I promise I will get that picture for you.

Thanks to all for the helpful discussion. I agree with Terry and John. It is hairy for me to put up my main all alone. I almost lost it the other day when a gust hit me standing up on top of my cuddy with the mast in hand and my son looking at me with that look...like dad you are going to lose it any minute now... and I never put the mast up in the water....

When I go out with someone else it isn't too bad but all alone it freaks me out trying to get the mast up and into the step. My main mast is 21'-- the lower 10' of aluminum and the rest of laminated wood and I have sailtracks. I would love to do a real tabernacle but with my cuddy and the mast in the third step position I just don't have enough mast to do it. I would have to make the mast taller. Wes has a good idea but I don't think it would work on my cuddy with the sliding hatch, but thanks for trying Wes. :)

So Terry is this a picture of you? If so I like the helper you have there but maybe I could make it a little higher...I suppose the bolts are carriage type from the inside out? 3" ? okay will try it. Do you anchor the end of the mast in any way? it looks like you just insert the mast end and then lift er up...

Look at the video clip for my cuddy and the way I did the step...

Bob

Bob,

The picture you posted is me. From the color of the registration sticker it was taken in 2004. I used carraige bolts from the inside. The lower sections of my masts are 3". I used PVC couplers and filed the lip on the inside where the carraige bolt heads go. On the longer version for the main I cut a quarter of the PVC off so the sail track could be below the top. That way I can lower may main more to lower the center of force when it is windy. Not necessary but when there is a boat sitting out there by the house it can be hard to just leave it alone.

I slip the bottom of the mast in and they raise easily as Sukie said.

Now that I've seen your cuddy, I realize I was way off. For some reason, I thought your cuddy was further forward, but the idea I was suggesting definitely wouldn't work for this. Looks like the PVC mast helper is probably the way to go. I can imagine that stepping the mast is a bit awkward if you have to lift the foot of the mast that high (above the cuddy roof) to insert it. The rotating-PVC contraption may be a big improvement.

Thanks guys. Great stuff Terry. I am anxious to build one--my back is already thanking me. I will have to watch where my sail track comes to as well and thanks for the picture. I got it from Graham's cd with my CS plans. If you have a picture of the longer version Terry I would love to see it.

Well it is off to the shop to build some more.

Thanks Wes for all the help too. I am glad you can see what I was dealing with on the cuddy. You are all great.

Bob