scarfing plywood

Guest Gerry

Guest Charlie Jones

a block plane, or a belt sander, or a router you can scarf panels beautifully.

Don't be afraid of the boat just because it requires scarfs. They are quite easy to do in several different ways, and they don't take much in the way of tools. You'll need a good plane anyway to build the rest, so use that to scarf with.

Mbdolfns@nospamtisd.net

Guest John Burritt

You might need something a bit bigger than a block plane, i.e. a smoothing or jack plane. But Charlie's right. You will have a variety of needs for a reasonable plane. You can do marvelous things with a good plane with a SHARP iron.

Theoretically, you could use a couple of other types of methods for joining the plywood, but part of the area of the scarf is visible on the inside and the other methods, while just as strong, just aren't as nice looking.

Scarfing isn't rocket science, especially with plywood where you have the laminate layers to serve as a guide.

jbncb@coastalnet.com

Guest Graham Byrnes

I concur with what Charlie said about scarfs, but if you don't want to scarf, the butt tape method is a sound way to go. We like to do both sides at once sandwiched between 2 layers of 3/4" ply and plastic sheet release film with pressure (props down from the ceiling or screwed together). They come out nice and flat with minimal fairing on the outside. If you do 1 side at a time it is very difficult to turn the 2 sheets over to do the other side without breaking the joint.

Guest Joe Nelson Oregon CS20 #3

The method Graham describes produces the nicest taped joints I have ever seen. Very easy and finishes fast! I used the screws and even with multiple layers of glass tape it fairs out nicely.

joe_nelson22@hotmail.com

Guest Scott Dunsworth

When I was building my Penobscot 14 I had a little trouble making the scarfs. I made a jig for my router and cut half lap joints for the planks. Dont know how these joints would hold up on a wide sheet of ply. Scarfing is something that I will be practicing till I learn how to get it right. I plan on building the Princess 26 in the not so distant future and I want it to be right. When I received that $50 plywood and messed up a few planks I decided to do something else. But I have enough scraps now to practice on and hopefully I'll be ready.

Scott

dunsworthds@psci.net