8" jointer

I have been wanting an 8" jointer for some time and finally ended up buying a new Shop Fox W1741. I looked for a used older Delta DJ20 but no luck. So far I have been impress with the machine, the beds are flat and parallel and it is very easy to adjust the infeed bed. We have an older DJ20 at the Watercraft Center in Beaufort and the Shop Fox seems to be smother operating than the DJ20.

The Shop Fox has a 3hp motor and 4 knifes vs the DJ20 with a 1 1/2hp with 3 knifes. All these machines including Delta are made in China now and I am pleased with the quality of the Shop Fox. I was a little skeptical at first because the Shop Fox was 1/2 the price. I was disappointed in the leveling screws on the mobile base. They use nut inserts for the leveling screws and I popped one out while trying to unload the machine out of my truck. I called Shop Fox and they have sent me some washers and nuts to attach some new screws.

I was wondering if anyone else has purchased one of these machines and what their thoughts are on it?

Phil

• 3 weeks later...