Repairs to polyester

bobeastman

Somewhere on the website I saw that "Repairs are easy" .

Can you give some comments on repairing polyester. I had a hard time getting my running stitch real straight and some of the holes pulled a good bit when I started using the iron and I'm not sure if the paint will fill them in

I am ready to paint my Ravenswood - think I'm going to use Rustoleum oil base - sound good?

Somewhere on the website I saw that "Repairs are easy" .

Can you give some comments on repairing polyester. I had a hard time getting my running stitch real straight and some of the holes pulled a good bit when I started using the iron and I'm not sure if the paint will fill them in

What I was referring to was the frame, if you break something repairing the frame is easy. About the only cure for pull holes is to fill them with something. I would suggest finding a tube of Lexel caulk. It's sticky and aggravating to work with but it does a good job at filling holes. The down side is it is probably going to show but there is not much way around that.

Rustoleum is a good choice, just thin the first coat so that you get a good saturation on the fabric. That way it will soak in the fabric and give the inside of the boat an even color. Otherwise it is tends to look very blotchy.

I am about to upload a video on finishing to YouTube. I am not really happy with it but I decided to upload it anyway.

PS. I meant to add, the main reason for pull holes is that when you stitch the fabric you pulled it too tight around the frame and tried to stretch the fabric. While you want it snug you can not pull this fabric tight. The second reason is not keeping the sides even, one side gets ahead of the other and when you shrink it it shrinks uneven.

Just keep in mind, second one always looks better! You learn form your mistakes.