a simple paddling boat for kids

JeffM

I will be running a 4-week day camp this July for maybe a dozen upper-elementary kids. We will be doing boat science and building. I have already gotten a lot of good advice from the Duckworks forum, and am now ready to decide on a boat design. I want a very simple paddling boat that holds two kids or a kid and parent, is stable, safe, performs well enough not to be frustrating, and is easy to cartop. I had purchased plans for Storer's Quick Canoe, but in looking about decided a wiser choice would be a straight-cuts boat. My models are Joe Tribulato's Le Petit Bateau My link, the Wacky Lassie My link, and the Lazy Weekend Canoe My link. Of these, the Wackie Lassie it too small, the Lazy too big and wide, and the Bateau a bit low, so I am thinking of messing about with design myself. I am figuring a 13 foot boat would be about rignt, with maybe a 26 inch beam at the chine.

A few questions for those in the know: (1) it seems that the greater the flare, the greater the rocker with a constant-flair straight-cuts design. Assuming this will be a double-ender, how important is it that the ends be clear of the water when the boat is on her lines? Since I want a boat that is no more than about 13 feet long and a beam at the chine of maybe 26 inches, the fully-loaded boat might well have both ends in the water. (2) Is there any way short of model-building to estimate the capacity of a such a boat without a table of offsets? (3) Does anyone have any experience of a Quick Canoe to tell me if the immersed ends really help with tracking? If so, I could add them to my boat. (4) How reasonable would it be to increase the capacity of the boat while keeping the length simply by increasing the width of the sides to give more freeboard?

I suppose I'm not a rower. I like poking into little bits of water, and think a kayak unbeatable for that. Anyway, we're talking MUCH simpler than a minipaw! (Did I mention we're doing this on a shoestring? As in 2-3 sheets exterior ply, some glue, some latex paint?)

I suppose I'm not a rower. I like poking into little bits of water, and think a kayak unbeatable for that.

I guess that I am a fan of mastery learning means what I may or may not like should have no effect on the choice of design. It should meet the learning objectives of the experience. I don't know what those are, so maybe it does require a paddling boat.

Anyway, we're talking MUCH simpler than a minipaw! (Did I mention we're doing this on a shoestring? As in 2-3 sheets exterior ply, some glue, some latex paint?)

Ah, you didn't mention that, but it surely does make a difference.