Sailing after dark

Gordy Hill

Since we're getting a little off the subject on Knut's thread I thought I'd start a new one.

It's worth all the trouble to prepare your boat for sailing after dark. Correct me if I'm wrong, but for my CS 17, since it's an "open sailboat" under 21 feet, all that's really necessary for lighting is a flashlight to shine on the sails when appropriate. I'm looking into LED lights anyway. Also, be aware that when motoring, you're a motor boat, and must be lit accordingly.

On my Silhouette I had a snowmobile battery for lights. It had a little handle on it, was small, and had no trouble handling my lights for a few days. I'm considering one for my CS 17, mostly because I want a fishfinder. They don't find fish, but they're cheaper than a depthsounder and have bigger numbers. Also, it could run a binnacle light, GPS, and, if necessary, running lights.

There's nothing like sailing on a nice warm night, especially on biscayne Bay or the Keys. The phosphorescent plankton lights up when the water's disturbed. It's most dramatic when you sail behind a breakwater or small island on smooth water. A quick pump of the tiller sends a burst of lights off with your wake.

I've been anchored in the Keys when a tug on the anchor line causes it to light up all the way to the bottom. One night, when anchored behind Cape Canaveral, fishing was a waste of time because the fishing line would light up all the way out to the lure.

Then there's peeing off the back of the boat...

Guest Anonymous
Since we're getting a little off the subject on Knut's thread I thought I'd start a new one.

It's worth all the trouble to prepare your boat for sailing after dark. Correct me if I'm wrong' date=' but for my CS 17, since it's an "open sailboat" under 21 feet, all that's really necessary for lighting is a flashlight to shine on the sails when appropriate. I'm looking into LED lights anyway. Also, be aware that when motoring, you're a motor boat, and must be lit accordingly.

[/quote']

Well that depends. Where are you sailing? Indeed under inland rules you need only have a flashlight or flare up light to display on your sail in sufficient time to prevent a collision. This is only under sail. Once you fire up the motor, (gas or electric) you must have under power nav lighting. If your sailing on a lake intead of ocean harbors,and ocean navigable rivers you are under the jurisdiction of the state ypu are within. Some states do not allow the 7 meter exemption to nav lights on sailing and manual vessels. If you are in many harbors such as Puget sound, NewYork harbor, and many other large commercial harbors follow Colregs 72 as opposed to inland rules and this again gives no exemption to 7 meeter non powered boats.

Another wrinkle is that if you have nav lights for use as a power boat, technically you are not supposed to fall back on the flashlight routine under sail alone.

On my Weekender I am installing bicolor loghts up front, a masthead on the mast on a sepoarate switch, and a sternlight on the transom. Under sail alone I will douse the masthead, under power I will have the main anv lights on as well as the masthead.

The masthead will have a wire secured to the mast terminating with a waterproof deck plug that will plug into a socket on the deck. At anchor, I will have the masthead light switch on, and unplug the masthead light and plug in a n anchor light that I run up the jib halyard.

Ray Frechette

Ray,

As usual, you bring up some good points. As I understand it, Here in Florida we can get by with the flashlight. I'm with you, however, in thinking that too much light is just fine. Right of way doesn't mean much when the other guy is huge.

Perhaps you can clear this up for me. When sailing I'd like to use the masthead light. I'd also like a masthead strobe I could turn on when I feel someone isn't noticing my running lights. The last I read, the strobe doesn't "mean" anything, but it does increase one's visibility.

I can't imagine sailing in a busy harbour, or anyplace with a lot of traffic, at night. Even with proper lights it's hard to judge speed and closing angles. Trust me on this! I'm confronted with it on a regular basis flying over Central Florida. Here in Florida we have so much shallow water that where we sail our little boats we pretty much have the place to ourselves.

I guess I should have mentioned it's important to choose wisely where one sails at night.

Guest Anonymous

Parts pof the Florida Keys are subject to International rules and hence the 7 metre exemption doe s not apply.

If you are under sail alone and running your masthead light, be aware that you are advertising to anyone who sees you that you are under power. Not a major problem if you can quickly be brought under power if you need to maneuver quickly. You are no longer the priveledged vessel when you advertise that you are under power and must follow the rules of the road relating to power boat operation.

Also, The using of a mast mounted strobe light could be highly confusing and generally should be avoided. Rules do allow you to use extraordinary means though to avoid a collision.

Guest Anonymous
Wait a minute!

I thought the three-color masthead light was all that was nessary to identify a sailboat! I was lead to understand that it is an acceptable option to the standard running lights for a sailboat........no?

I think your referring to a three color light on the top of a mast? This is an acceptable means of identifying a sailboat under sail. You need to shut it off when under power.

A masthead light is technically a white light that shines from dead ahead to 22.5 degrees abaft each beam. IE it shine 225 degrees total. It must also be one meter above the running lights, IE the bicolor and stern light.

In lieu of the separate masthead ond stern light for under power you may run a single all around light one meter above the bicolor lights. Under sail alone though If you wish to be considered a sailing vessel, you must not allow any white light to shine to be visible from the same angle as either the red or green light. This is what identifies you as a sail boat under sail, the absence of a white light from the same perspective of either a red or green light.

Hi, Gordy. This paints a wonderful picture for me. Being outside enjoying nature, sailing. That is beautiful, thats what it's all about. You live in and or sail in a good area.

Gordy wrote.

There's nothing like sailing on a nice warm night, especially on biscayne Bay or the Keys. The phosphorescent plankton lights up when the water's disturbed. It's most dramatic when you sail behind a breakwater or small island on smooth water. A quick pump of the tiller sends a burst of lights off with your wake.

I've been anchored in the Keys when a tug on the anchor line causes it to light up all the way to the bottom. One night, when anchored behind Cape Canaveral, fishing was a waste of time because the fishing line would light up all the way out to the lure.

May your life be blessed with many years of these adventures and also to share it with others.

Captain red

Having running lights on your boat doesn't cost that much and may save your life. Don't go with the minimums of a flashlight. Strobes, being a collision-warning device can be mistaken for a marker and cause other boats to go off course. Most Coastguards well fine you for keeping it on. Any major water ways, Great Lakes or were commercial shipping routes will require you to have running lights. If you