Amanda vs. Spindrift 12?

Dogdad

Just saw the new design on the B&B website. Looks like a faster build than the Spindrift. Hull design is simpler, and uses an unstayed lug rig. I'm wondering what the tradeoffs are, especially under sail.

http://www.bandbyachtdesigns.com/mandy.htm

I know it's a question for the designer, but thought the answer(s) would be of general interest.

Thanks!

Well, to start with the Spindrift 12 can be built/rigged cat or sloop. So you have to decide which one you are comparing to, or if both. I would think both Spindrift rigs would be faster, and the sloop, if not both would point higher (sail closer to the wind). I would think the Amanda is slightly more stable, but a Spindrift isn't bad either. I think the primary reason for the Amanda as an offering is that it is easier and faster to build.

I expect that I will get this question a lot. The Mandy design was started from a request from a student at my local boat building class. The boat was to be a simple 12' skiff that should would row well and take up to a 6 horse power motor, have plenty of freeboard and enough stability to fish out of and be a comfortable family knock about. Sailing was not in the original request but how could I not try to make her sail well.

I never intended her to out sail the S12 and chose the lug rig as simple and cheap to rig and easy to reef. I will try the S12 rig in her when I get the chance.

I have only sailed her once as she is under going painting for the local boat show but I am looking forward to getting to know her better.

I have no way to compare her to a S12 yet but I think that Dave was correct in his assessment. I was very pleased with her handling in the 15 knots of breeze. The helm was exactly what I wanted and the boat had what I felt was the right amount of stability for the conditions with just the right amount of sail area. The boat tacked nicely and seemed to be close winded but logic says that the Spindrift rig would be closer winded.

After the hull was built, Carl Cramer asked me if I had a suitable design for the family boat building program at the Mystic Seaport Wooden Boat show. I submitted the Mandy plans to him and he liked her right away and asked me to participate. Every one that comes into the shop really seems to like her and the third hull is under construction.

I mentioned this on a thread a while back and thought it may or may not be helpful here.

I had this lug rig on the first boat I built a Penobscot 14. I enjoyed sailing it. It was easy to rig and even easier to stole. I always left the yard laced to the sail and would simply roll the whole thing up and slip it in a piece of 4" pvc tube with end caps just stuck on the ends. The mast and the tube with sail could be stored in the boat completely for trailering. Also I didn't have to worry about rodents getting into my sail while stored. The tube also did away with having to fold the sail, she was rolled up all the time so she always look clean and crisp with no wrinkles.

As for performance, to me it sailed to the wind nicely and was generally nice to handle. The only thing I was ever nervous about was sailing down wind with a strong wind. But I don't know if that was the rig, the hull, the nature of a cat, or the lack of sailing skills. I love the rig and may consider it for one of my spindrift 12's that I am keeping for myself.

Scott

Wondering if this rig.....with the appropriate sized sail.....can be added to existing an Spindrift?

The existing rig sails really well, but takes a bit of effort to rig and with the sleeve luff, the sail cannot be doused on the water without pulling the mast. For a sail on a tender that is not likely to be raced, this seems like a good alternative.

• 10 months later...

Lug rigs can be very good. Michael Storer was up for a messabout a couple years ago when he came to the USA. He sailed a local GIS, which he designed. It sailed very well to wind and he is a master! Had a tough time staying up with him in my CS20. But he was by himself and I had a passenger. Point is...the lug rig is no slouch. I would not have any concern about using one. Very simple to rig. Short mast.

Lug rigs can be very good. ... It sailed very well to wind and he is a master! Had a tough time staying up with him in my CS20.

Joe, thanks for adding here,

If you would be so kind as to embelish... re your CS20 has it mast tracks? at it's best, what's the included and between tacks?

when you compared to MIK sailing the GIS, speed aside, was it able to point with you? were you able to gage/approxomate the GIS best included angle between tacks?

Thanks very much - as hard numbers for spoecific boats i sso hard to come by, every bit helps.

TomH

PS are you even remotely thinking/considering of parting with you CS20?

I didnt understand your first question. I do have tracks.

We were not sailing a course, so its hard to say about how high the two boats point. We were going for speed. If we had a mark to sail to, I'd have a better idea, We were just sailing together on various points of sail. Even downwind he did pretty well. But we were dry and sitting on the seats and he was hiked out on the rail.

Not planning on selling my boat.

Tom,

I dont know. I do know that I cannot go as high as a lightning, but we make up for it in speed by sailing offwind a bit more. Hard to beat the sloop rig for pointing ability. If looking for a race boat, class boats are better, as they have standards and competition is more fair and even between boats of the same kind. Lightning class boats are fun! But much more tippy, as initial stability is much less than a CS20. I feel much more at ease in the CS than I do in a lightning. I've raced quite a bit in lightnings. After racing for a while, its nice to get into the CS and enjoy the self tending fore sail and stability while single handing.