nylon, polyestor, pvc pros cons

bobeastman

Interested in a Kudzu Craft. I've built several Pygmy's and several from plans with Okoume. A bit unsure about all the skin options. I've looked a bit on Yost website and think I like the pvc idea as there is no sewing to learn. What are the pros and cons of using this pvc material that is on his website........ Does a hard chine or multi chine do anything to the diffuculty of skinning with any of these 3 options. I'm going to purchase from Kudzu so I have a manual, patterns, etc. but need a little more info on what skin to look at. Anyone had any experience with the pvc

Thanks

Bob

I will have to leave the PVC to others as I have never used it. But the two things I know are, it's darn near impossible to put on without a lot wrinkles. It's not as durable as a sewn on skin. I don't support or offer any information on vinyl skin. If you go that way you are on your own.

Don't let sewing on a skin scare you. Not sure why men are so intimidated by sewing but it is really not hard. Watch my three part video on sewing polyester on my web site. http://kudzucraft.kudzupatch.com/video/skinning-polyester.php

Also watch the video from Skin Boat School. They show how to sew nylon.

When I started I looked at vinyl but all the boats looking like wrinkled prunes turned me off. I have used nylon on several boats and it is good skin but I loosens up when wet and I hate that. So I have settled on polyester unless I have a boat that is going to see a hard life.

• 2 weeks later...

I have dacron on a Monfort canoe that I built, and I like how it shrinks and stays shrunk, but I did put a hole in it. Trying the 12 oz nylon with the Ravenswood I'm building now, so I will know better in a month.

As far as I know, the Monfort kits used Aircraft Dacron which is something around a 2.5 -3 oz fabric. Way to light for any contact with a underwater objects. I would never use that on a boat, otherwise his designs are very cool. A lot of people put holes in that fabric from what I read.

The polyester is sell is 8 oz. weight and is much tougher than the aircraft Dacron. Many people assume it is the same thing but it much, much heavier fabric.