stringer legnth

KenP

Hi Jeff,

How do you determine how long to make your stringers? I'm building Curlew. I'm guessing 16.5' or does it need to be longer for ease of bending? I'm trying to be as efficient with materials and money as poss. I will be using clear red cedar from a very good lumber yard. The home improvement centers haven't restocked since fall there is nothing to cherry pick. My workshop in not long enough to rip 16+ feet so I plan to scarf from 8 or 10 footers.

thanks

Ken

Hi Jeff,

How do you determine how long to make your stringers? I'm building Curlew. I'm guessing 16.5' or does it need to be longer for ease of bending? I'm trying to be as efficient with materials and money as poss. I will be using clear red cedar from a very good lumber yard. The home improvement centers haven't restocked since fall there is nothing to cherry pick. My workshop in not long enough to rip 16+ feet so I plan to scarf from 8 or 10 footers.

thanks

Ken

Scarfing is really a good way to handle it. I can not find good lumber period around here so scarfing is a must for me. If you haven't, I would also suggest you go to a real lumber yard and see what they have. Around here they have better lumber than the Borg's do.

16-16.5 is perfect. Rule of thumb is add 1 foot to the boat length and that will give you enough. Especially on boats like Curlew that have my fantail design. Since the stringers stop a little short of the stern you could probably get by with 16' but I tend to make them a little longer just in case. You never know when you may make a mistake and a little extra is good.

And don't forget to send/post some photos. I am working a new photo page and I going to create an Albums for all the customers boats.

Thanks Jeff,

Yea I gave up on the borgs. I was wasting way too much time there. We have here a local lumber yard which has amazing S4S WRC 1x4 vertical grain. I'm a luthier by trade so I know wood. They are even nice about letting people into see the wood before paying! I'm begining to think that if you factor in all the time spent cherry picking the borg and all the waste cutting out knots it's cheaper to by the good wood from the start.

Ken

I'm a luthier by trade so I know wood.

I'm begining to think that if you factor in all the time spent cherry picking the borg and all the waste cutting out knots it's cheaper to by the good wood from the start.

I could probably learn from you then! :-) Most of my clients are not well versed.

I agree about buying cheap. I have learned that the hard way. Unfortunately I can't find the good stuff around here. We are just to far inland for there to be a market for good marine woods and to far from he Pacific NW to get good cedars. I have a good relationship with one yard, actually have the run of the place so I periodically go pick through and buy what ever I can find and save it. Good is out of the question, I get excited over decent!

We have some good stuff just not at a borg store. I've seen a little stack of absolutely clear vertical grain redwood in an online building guide. The caption reads this is the wood for ---- Greenland kayak I bought it at Lowes. Is there Lowes in paradise? I have seen an absolutely clear vertical grain 10' 2x4 of yellow cedar with a Lowes price tag on it. Purchased in Boston. They will not stock the good stuff in MI. Have you used yellow cedar? It's like working butter, almost. But heavier than WRC.

Ken

I could probably learn from you then! :-) Most of my clients are not well versed.

I agree about buying cheap. I have learned that the hard way. Unfortunately I can't find the good stuff around here. We are just to far inland for there to be a market for good marine woods and to far from he Pacific NW to get good cedars. I have a good relationship with one yard, actually have the run of the place so I periodically go pick through and buy what ever I can find and save it. Good is out of the question, I get excited over decent!

Not commenting on stringers, but I will hardily endorse buying lumber from the local full service lumber yards. Not only is the quality of wood better and hence more economical for boat building, but they provide a much needed service to their local economy. The mega no service building stores purchase less desirable material, store it poorly (on end often), charge for delivery and usually lack in having any knowledgeable sales people. They are running the full service lumber yards out of business and soon some areas will not even have a respectable full service lumber yard for contractors and retail folk to deal with. Everyone likes to save a buck, but there is more to value than the price.