Belhaven Outboard Well

G Man

Sorry for the delay on the pics! Here is the well that holds my 2-stroke 5hp outboard and it works great. When not in use the motor stows in the port side locker and she is transformed into a pure sailing vessel. Even on short trips or with light winds I just leave it in and it really doesn't intrude on the cockpit. We've had 4 adults and 4 children out for a sail and I left the outboard in and didn't feel it cramped the space. The motor steering is locked and with the prop wash over the rudder, steering authority is great. With the outboard stowed and the bottom plug in, the well also serves as a great live-well for small bait fish or for washing dishes as a few inches of water remains in the well. I'm very pleased with the setup and it's rock solid with the 5hp propulsion in both forward and reverse. The motor is easy to stow and install as well. It's made from spare parts and wood I had floating around the workshop and a 10" deck plate. The well is built in between the floor beams so little modification is done to the original plan. Just two 1x2 cross members, 4 sides of 1/4" marine ply and some epoxy fillets. I also added that large gate hinge to support the middle of the 2x4 motor mount in case of flex or lifting. Maybe overkill though. I built the original hole in the bottom to fit a 3.5hp, but then upgraded to the 5hp so a slight bit of trimming on the cavitation plate was required. The well mod went very fast and I realize I have no construction photos of the well, but as described it's of very simple design and made to fit the plans with minimal infringement on the plans. The 5hp is about as heavy of a motor as I would want to lift in and out though.

post-707-0-85752100-1300613207_thumb.jpg

post-707-0-94257700-1300613226_thumb.jpg

post-707-0-69906400-1300613467_thumb.jpg

post-707-0-60004300-1300613481_thumb.jpg

post-707-0-97039600-1300613505_thumb.jpg

post-707-0-45147100-1300613519_thumb.jpg

post-707-0-56038600-1300613539_thumb.jpg

post-707-0-96367200-1300613551_thumb.jpg

That is a 15" shaft on the motor. With the 2x4 as the mount it provides 16 3/4" clearance from the top of the 2x4 to the bottom of the hull. I suppose you could modify the size of the wood used for the mount to suit a variety of different shaft lengths. With the 15" shaft, the cavitation plate sits just under the hull and seems to be afforded protection from the ballast keel as the shaft does not protrude too deep. Also with a 10" deckplate, the cooling water discharges into the motor well and doesn't splash all over the cockpit sole, which is a nice feature. If (or I suppose when now) I build another boat I would definatley look to incorporate this type of outboard well again.

Another possible issue if one chose a long shaft motor is that it might interfere with the tiller on the motor cowling if one went longshaft.

I like the motorwell design a Lot G man.

Looking to buy a short shaft motor just for this application as I will likely be building a Belhaven for myself shortly.

Sorry for the delay on the pics! Here is the well that holds my 2-stroke 5hp outboard and it works great. When not in use the motor stows in the port side locker and she is transformed into a pure sailing vessel. Even on short trips or with light winds I just leave it in and it really doesn't intrude on the cockpit. We've had 4 adults and 4 children out for a sail and I left the outboard in and didn't feel it cramped the space. The motor steering is locked and with the prop wash over the rudder, steering authority is great. With the outboard stowed and the bottom plug in, the well also serves as a great live-well for small bait fish or for washing dishes as a few inches of water remains in the well. I'm very pleased with the setup and it's rock solid with the 5hp propulsion in both forward and reverse. The motor is easy to stow and install as well. It's made from spare parts and wood I had floating around the workshop and a 10" deck plate. The well is built in between the floor beams so little modification is done to the original plan. Just two 1x2 cross members, 4 sides of 1/4" marine ply and some epoxy fillets. I also added that large gate hinge to support the middle of the 2x4 motor mount in case of flex or lifting. Maybe overkill though. I built the original hole in the bottom to fit a 3.5hp, but then upgraded to the 5hp so a slight bit of trimming on the cavitation plate was required. The well mod went very fast and I realize I have no construction photos of the well, but as described it's of very simple design and made to fit the plans with minimal infringement on the plans. The 5hp is about as heavy of a motor as I would want to lift in and out though.

Another thing I like about the design is that the motor can be turned also if needed for tight maneuvering around a slip, etc., or for steerage in shallow water where the rudder has to be kicked up. The motor in Pilgrim (my P22) is totally in its well and cannot be turned for steerage in shallow water. Something to consider for future builders :)

Another thing I like about the design is that the motor can be turned also if needed for tight maneuvering around a slip, etc., or for steerage in shallow water where the rudder has to be kicked up. The motor in Pilgrim (my P22) is totally in its well and cannot be turned for steerage in shallow water. Something to consider for future builders :)

But, I've noticed that your motor won't run when I wrap your mizzen sheet around the prop. You might look into that.

Yeah, I think a short shaft is the best way to go as well, but I suppose if a long shaft is all you had you could make it work. Thanks for the kind words Ray, and if there is any more info I can provide you (or anyone else interested) about the well, please let me know. Can't wait to see to see your Belhaven!

Had mine a couple miles out in the Persian Gulf last week in about 2-3' seas, winds at around 15-20kts and it was solid as a rock! Everytime I take it out I am more and more impressed with the boat. Planning a possible overnight trip this weekend to test out the accomadation.

Score: Scott = SLAM DUNK! Ray ... Ray???

I am not anti motors.

Just think they are not the least bit necessary on a CoreSound.

On Belhaven I can begin to see their utility.

While I think I could get by with oars and paddles on a Belhaven they would certainly not be all that convenient to stow.

I would like to have a sculling oar on the boat since it would be pretty easy to move it with one, but as Ray said, stowage is an issue.

I, too, would like to get a sculling oar and am setting up for one. Anyone know what length is recommended for this? I have been looking for YouTube videos on the use of the yuloh (sculling oar) so that I can practice. My old boyfriend used one on his tender at times....it was pretty cool!

Perhaps for stowage it could be a telescoping carbon fiber model...or a two piece model...one CAN dream, yes?

Kyle #44

I, too, would like to get a sculling oar and am setting up for one. Anyone know what length is recommended for this? I have been looking for YouTube videos on the use of the yuloh (sculling oar) so that I can practice. My old boyfriend used one on his tender at times....it was pretty cool!

Perhaps for stowage it could be a telescoping carbon fiber model...or a two piece model...one CAN dream, yes?

Kyle #44

I haven't worked out length needed as yet, but Two piece is a very reasonable option.

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/gear/scullmatix/index.htm

The scullmatix not only allows a 2 part sculling oar but it also makes sculling virtually an automatic operation.

Have not worked out stowage space either as yet.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't worked out length needed as yet, but Two piece is a very reasonable option.

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/gear/scullmatix/index.htm

The scullmatix not only allows a 2 part sculling oar but it also makes sculling virtually an automatic operation.

Have not worked out stowage space either as yet.

Thanks for the lead on that, Ray. Somehow I missed your post. Just looked at some "yuloh" vids on YouTube...pretty cool! Don't know if I want the Scullmatix or the cool factor of being able to get the angle and the rhythm myself! B)

Kyle #44