Everglades Challenge

Designer

The Core Sound 20 Dawn Patrol leads Class 4 in the EC as they dash towards East Cape and into Florida Bay. The First two boats have already finished, first home was Randy Smyth in his 22'trimaran and second was a Tornado, next boat is Dawn Patrol.

You can follow their track on www.watertribe.com the tribal name for Paul Stewart is Dances with Sandy Bottom.

This has been an exciting race to watch. Dawn Patrol was quite a ways back in the pack earlier in the race and they have steadily been working their way to the front. They have been pulling away from boats that were very fast on the first day.

Bumpy, Macho Man, and Sew Sew. The crew of the first and second place multihulls literally and figuratively are in a different class. So to me Paul and Alan have worked their way to the front of a very competitive group of boats and racers.

Dawn has been following them down the coast putting in many times the effort in her kayak.

Additional information can be found at Shore contact for Dawn Patrol

Congratulations! When I saw the Gougeon brothers working on that i550, I thought they would have class 4 pretty well clinched. Great job showing what Graham's boats can do. I can't wait till mine is on the water. I'm making slow but steady progress and hope to have Goodfoot in the water early this summer.

Pics of the build at http://goodfootsailing.blogspot.com

Pete B

True the i550 is streak, but it does have a fixed keel. I seem to recall the ability to coast/sail/row through skinny water is a big plus for the Everglades Challenge. And of course Graham designed the "Core Sound" series to navigate our Core Sound which is very skinny water.

True the i550 is streak, but it does have a fixed keel. I seem to recall the ability to coast/sail/row through skinny water is a big plus for the Everglades Challenge. And of course Graham designed the "Core Sound" series to navigate our Core Sound which is very skinny water.

The i550 in this years race had a ballasted daggerboard that could be retracted. It probably only drew 8 or so inches with the board up.

The i550 in this years race had a ballasted daggerboard that could be retracted. It probably only drew 8 or so inches with the board up.

Mike/Anyone,

Very interested in how much ballast weight Gougeon carried.

Do you have any further info on the amount of ballast? Was all the weight in the d'board?

Know anything about the sail area as built? (not the original i550 perhaps)

Mike/Anyone,

Very interested in how much ballast weight Gougeon carried.

Do you have any further info on the amount of ballast? Was all the weight in the d'board?

Know anything about the sail area as built? (not the original i550 perhaps)

The i550 class rules specify that the ballast must be no less than 150 and no more than 185 pounds. But I don't know if the Gougeon built their boat to comply with the class rules.

Yes, Hot Canary had a lifting, ballasted board, not a swing keel. You can see the slot for it in the build video (about half way through)

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?128006-i550-Sport-Boat-time-lapse-building-video

I wonder if the boat wasn't quite a bit more twitchy without the full keel in the windy/rough conditions they had.

Graham, Joe, Ken, Dale, Matoi, Ricknriver, Richard, Pete, Bob,

Thank you all very much for the encouragement!

Graham, thanks for designing such a great boat. Love sailing it. You know we did our best for Team B&B (does Alan get a raise now?)

The EC 2011 was a wonderful adventure aboard the CS20 Dawn Patrol. Alan (SOS) and I (DancesWithSandyBottom) were delighted to finish the EC in 2days 18hours 35minutes.

The record for the EC in Class4 (monohull sailboats) is 2days 8hrs 56min. That record was set in 2007 by Graham Byrnes and Randy Marshall aboard the EC22 Southern Skimmer.

The new asymmetric spinnaker, bowsprit, and running backstays proved useful by adding 1-2 knots some downwind runs. We explored the limits of application the new spinnaker. Thanks to Inner Banks Sails and Canvas in Oriental, NC, for making our Doyle APC spinnaker just-in-time for the EC.

Our B&B mizzen stays'l also played a role --as a jib! It's a bit flat for a spinnaker but the stays'l has many uses and we tried them all. We also used it wing-on-wing-on-wing. I could just hear the stays'l saying "Hey wait! I'm a mizzen stays'l! What are you doing to me now ... this doesn't look good..."

We sailed in the company of some world-class sailors and I am convinced there was also one aboard the Dawn Patrol; namely, Alan Stewart who is a creative talented sailor, a great sailing companion, and the best son. His experience in off-shore racing was important. Add that to the other advantages we had: a good boat design, good sails, good oars, a dry cabin for naps on-the-go and non-stop forward movement. I believe our greatest advantage was that we kept the boat moving forward all the time. The result was our 66.5 hour finish, 7 hours ahead of the 19' Lightning Hare on Fire, 18 hours ahead of the I-550 Hot Canary, and 42 hours ahead of Bill Fite's Sea Pearl "Moon Shadow". The other 8 boats in Class4 did not finish. [Correction: Dances-With-Mullet finished in 5days 7hrs 30mins; but the results page says "DNF" for some reason.]

The Lightning. Going upwind, the Lightning Hare on Fire was the fasted Class4 boat. However, we took the 30 knot headwinds on day2 inside the protection of Pine Island Sound while they were being battered by the same front out in the big waves of the Gulf of Mexico. At CP2 they stopped to sleep. We never stopped to sleep, kept the boat moving except for a few minutes at each checkpoint, and took turns at the helm to allow 1-2 hour naps. The crew of Hare on Fire said it reminded them of the fable of the tortoise and the hare.

The I-550. In strong headwinds the tender I-550 had a reef in when we did not need any reefs. In that case we sailed past the Goudgeon brothers' I-550 Hot Canary. The Dawn Patrol also had the advantage when rowing and in quickly lowering/raising masts for bridges at CP1. We lowered/raised our masts and sails in 5-10 minutes, whereas the I-550 requires much longer. Also, Mead and Jan anchored Hot Canary sometimes for rest/sleep.

The Sea Pearl. Bill Fite (Jarhead) single-handed "Moon Shadow" this year in the EC. In the 2010 EC, Bill Fite and Jonathan Arthur aboard Moon Shadow finished first in Class4 with 2days 10 hrs 27 min. Also, he and William Denton finished first in Class4 aboard Moon Shadow in the 2010 WaterTribe North Carolina Challenge.

Some day I hope to slowly cruise the EC route. From Tampa to Key Largo the Everglades Challenge waters are beautiful. Florida Bay is unique, amazing and beautiful. The best part, however, is gathering with kindred spirits in small boats to share the adventure. The next WaterTribe event will be the 2011 NC Challenge in September -- looking forward to that!

While we were sailing, Steve Earley covered our progress via photos and reports on his blog, logofspartina.blogspot.com. Thanks, Steve!

I am aiming to post further details, photos and videos soon on cs20dawnpatrol.blogspot.com.

Thanks again for cheering for Team B&B,

--Paul

post-538-0-30754800-1300141497_thumb.jpg

post-538-0-36095500-1300141515_thumb.jpg

post-538-0-41794300-1300141533_thumb.jpg

post-538-0-41164200-1300141577_thumb.jpg

post-538-0-92253000-1300142244_thumb.jpg

post-538-0-92175500-1300142255_thumb.jpg

post-538-0-69702000-1300142310_thumb.jpg