Rope size

Herschel Payne

Hi, I'm going to be purchasing new rope for my Weekender and I was thinking of changing from 1/4" that I'm currently using to 3/16" which is less costly and should work smoother with less resistance especially on the gaff up and down. Will 3/16" be ok? Your Thoughts?

Modern yacht braids are certainly strong enough, so the thing to take into consideration is how it feels in your hand. The loads on a Weekender peak and throat halyards are pretty light, so it shouldn't be bad. If you really have to pull hard on a line, then the smaller size might be less comfortable. I used larger line for my main sheet because I knew I would be holding it most of the time (I think I used 3/8"; hard to remember now). But for halywards and even jib sheets, that you really don't hold on to that long, smaller line can work well.

That should work! Should look good too, with the traditional three strand construction. Its pretty common now, but I remember when I looked into getting it for my Weekender, it was about .75 a foot!

Hi Frank ~ I don't want to hijack this thread, but I left you a reply on the Design Forum re: Oragami. Did you ever build her?

Also, I hail from Pt. Hueneme. Spent many days working and playing along the Ventura/Channel Islands/Oxnard coasts. Was great back in the 70's!!

Kyle

Hi Frank ~ I don't want to hijack this thread, but I left you a reply on the Design Forum re: Oragami. Did you ever build her?

Also, I hail from Pt. Hueneme. Spent many days working and playing along the Ventura/Channel Islands/Oxnard coasts. Was great back in the 70's!!

I have the distinction of having the longest boat builds in the known universe. I have a Spindrift started ... the centerboard is done but nothing else. My brother is building a nesting dinghy he swears will fit on the foredeck, but he has a Catalina 22, so I think it will fit on his foredeck, but not the foredeck of my Potter 19! And I keep dreaming of a folding boat to use as a dinghy, but haven't had the time in the last few years to do anything.

We love it here; Jan and I grew up in Orange County, but it is a mess now with traffic and buildings everywhere. Ventura County is more like OC was back when we were kids. The beaches are mostly deserted in Oxnard still, there are sand dunes and it looks like a real beach still. We sail out of either Channel Islands or Ventura harbors, and have a great time.

I have the distinction of having the longest boat builds in the known universe. I have a Spindrift started ... the centerboard is done but nothing else. My brother is building a nesting dinghy he swears will fit on the foredeck, but he has a Catalina 22, so I think it will fit on his foredeck, but not the foredeck of my Potter 19! And I keep dreaming of a folding boat to use as a dinghy, but haven't had the time in the last few years to do anything.

We love it here; Jan and I grew up in Orange County, but it is a mess now with traffic and buildings everywhere. Ventura County is more like OC was back when we were kids. The beaches are mostly deserted in Oxnard still, there are sand dunes and it looks like a real beach still. We sail out of either Channel Islands or Ventura harbors, and have a great time.

Ah, memories! Have a good sail someday and send pictures. And thanks for the "update" on your build(s). I remember skateboarding on my old metal wheeled red skateboard on the Hollywood side when they were just laying the asphalt there for the harbor parking lot. I left there in the late 80's.

I plan to take my Belhaven south and sail out of CI Harbor one year. I even have dreams about it. I'll let you know when the time draws near...

Now back to the regular programming of line diameter. Hijacker out.

Kyle

• Like 1

I plan to take my Belhaven south and sail out of CI Harbor one year. I even have dreams about it. I'll let you know when the time draws near...

Let us know when you are heading out this way! I keep threatening to visit Graham's get together each year, and get waylaid; I have not seen any of his boats up close, so I'd love to see your Belhaven. (We are once again planning to visit NC this year to take in Graham's little bash).