Building the 10' Atkin sailing dinghy "Vintage"

jalmberg

I thought I'd start this thread for anyone interested in watching a relative newbie build a traditional round-bottom boat...

The goal is to build the William Atkin designed "Vintage" in time for the "I Built It Myself" show at the Wooden Boat Show in Mystic, CT.

Why "Vintage"? Several reasons.

First, I think it's time I tackled a round-bottom boat. Again, I think this is a project that is way above my current skill level, but I'm a real believer in the adage that people can do more than they think they can. Just because I doubt my ability to build such a complicated boat, is no reason to not do it.

Sounds weird, right? Ah well...

Read Blog Post: Building "Vintage"

Vintage-1.gif

Fair Curves: John

So what is a lofting board for? For lofting, of course.

Lofting is the process of blowing up the relatively small-scale plans you get from your naval architect (in my case, from William Atkin), into full size plans.

This process is thought to be so complicated that many modern architects supply full-size plans to eliminate the need for lofting. Just roll out the plans and start building. But if you don't know how to loft, you can't build about 98% of boats, because full-size plans aren't available.

Plus, you miss out on all the fun of lofting, which really is a kind of relaxing exercise, once you have all your hair torn out...

Read blog post: The Grid

Fair Lines: John

BasicGrid.png

hello John,

One of the things that appeals to me most about boat building is the need to figure out things that you have never encountered before. When I started my weekender, I thought I was a fair woodworker, having done quite a few different things with wood, but boat building really made me step up my game and use all the skills I had learned jut to get by. I particularly enjoyed screwing up the simple lofting. One day I hope to build a glued lapstrake boat just for the problems it will present. Should be a gas.

Al

hello John,

One of the things that appeals to me most about boat building is the need to figure out things that you have never encountered before. When I started my weekender, I thought I was a fair woodworker, having done quite a few different things with wood, but boat building really made me step up my game and use all the skills I had learned jut to get by. I particularly enjoyed screwing up the simple lofting. One day I hope to build a glued lapstrake boat just for the problems it will present. Should be a gas.

Al

That's one word for it. I broke two battens today, trying to loft one of the buttocks. Not fun!

Guess I need a 1/4" batten for that tight curve.

As Scarlett said, tomorrow is another day...

Battens are one of those things that professional boat builders take for granted, I think. They've seen them since their first apprentice days, know what they look like, their different sizes, which batten is right for which curve, and on and on.

Not so for we poor amateurs trying to learn boat building out of books. I must admit they are still a bit of a mystery to me. Such a simple tool. So important. So easy to break!

Read blog post: Battered By Battens

Clear wood: John

DSCN4150.jpg

John, you seem to have flooded the wood working and boat building sites with links to your blog. Isn't your blog good enough? Is it necessary to seemingly shout, in a half a dozen or more sites about your issues, discoveries and newbie experiences, as a boat builder on a relatively insignificant 10' dinghy?

For example, your membership on this forum and also over at BYYB, Cruisers & Sailing, Australia's Wood Work Forum, BoatDesign.net and who knows where else, have been created solely to self promote this lapstrake endeavor of yours. I mean really, Australia too! Do you think this is just a little over the top? Maybe your enthusiasm would be best spent on your project and updating your own blog. I wonder how much more you've have done on both, had you not spent countless hours signing onto discussion forums and creating a whole bunch more little blogs, about the same thing.