Trailer clean up advice

Jim Stumpf

In preparation for rolling my CS 17 back up right I am getting the trailer in ship shape condition. I am not having fun but want to get this right...how far do I need to go with this for a quality job? I have hit some test areas with a 36 grit abrasive disk, can I get all of the paint off, does it all need to come off, does bare metal equal a better job or just wasted effort. I will hit with a finer grit abrasive is there more that I should be doing or possibly a better method? Thanks for your advice.

Jim

Before

0117111117a.jpg

1St pass 36 grit

0117111117c.jpg

1st pass 36 grit

0117111117b.jpg

The disk that I am using

0117111118b.jpg

• Like 1

Looks good enough to me. Remove loose flaky paint, do a quick-not-perfect edge feathering of remaining paint - PAINT! All I ever used was Rustoleum paint. Have a 1983 Cox trailer which usually gets dunked in salt water that's still rolling - well, the basic frame that is. Which brings me to my alert -ALERT! Check out running gear: springs and shackle and spring shackle mounts. I had to replace near everything except the frame a few years back. Repack bearings, check tires for dry rot, tag it and drag it!

In addition to the Cox I built several custom trailers to haul outboard race boats. To my knowledge all of them are still in action, going on two decades of LD hauling. However the only time they get wet is when it rains.

Almost forgot - as you probably already found out, tis a rare bolt that will come loose on a rusted trailer without snapping. Plan on replacing them.

In preparation for rolling my CS 17 back up right I am getting the trailer in ship shape condition. I am not having fun but want to get this right...how far do I need to go with this for a quality job? I have hit some test areas with a 36 grit abrasive disk, can I get all of the paint off, does it all need to come off, does bare metal equal a better job or just wasted effort. I will hit with a finer grit abrasive is there more that I should be doing or possibly a better method? Thanks for your advice.

Jim

Before

0117111117a.jpg

1St pass 36 grit

0117111117c.jpg

1st pass 36 grit

0117111117b.jpg

The disk that I am using

0117111118b.jpg

post-794-0-28465200-1295812640_thumb.jpg

post-794-0-19709100-1295812657_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the previous reply my attachments made it but my reply didn't. I haven't gotten use to the new layout of the form. Your trailer looks in pretty good shape. I live on the coast in NC and built a 17' Bay River Skiff last year. I searched for a used trailer but most that I found were in pretty bad shape. I ended up buying a new 16' Load Rite galvanized trailer for $575.00. I launched my boat on Thanksgiving and it has only seen water 3 times. The weather has been rotten on the NC coast this winter.

post-794-0-35429300-1295813615_thumb.jpg

post-794-0-27185400-1295813620_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the previous reply my attachments made it but my reply didn't. I haven't gotten use to the new layout of the form. Your trailer looks in pretty good shape. I live on the coast in NC and built a 17' Bay River Skiff last year. I searched for a used trailer but most that I found were in pretty bad shape. I ended up buying a new 16' Load Rite galvanized trailer for $575.00. I launched my boat on Thanksgiving and it has only seen water 3 times. The weather has been rotten on the NC coast this winter.

Good price! I got a small EZ Loader galvanized and modified the mounts for the wood/epoxy catamaran I built my daughter. Spent about $600. It has oil bath wheel bearings - time and miles will tell if they are truly less maintenance. Cat was launched once the day the massive 20" rain hit the Carolina coast. Nothing like a maiden voyage wind squall to test all the rigging :o