Outboard is mine

captain red

Hi, Guys I just wanted to tell you all that I am a new owner of a great used outboard motor. It runs like a top, Me and the former owner took it to a lake with a borrowed boat and I used it for several hours never skipped a beat. Got it for fifty dollars less too. This motor has always has been in fresh water too. One Question for you guys is when I use this in salt water do Ineed to do anything special to it other than rinse off when done ?

Thank You, Captain red

Hi,

what I do to my Mercury 2.5 hp is to hang it on the edge of one of these large plastic waste baskets, filled 50% with fresh water and I run the engine on low RPM for about 3-4 minutes. Quickly done, no sweat and it safeguards against salt build-up in the cooling system.

Good luck with your purchase! :)

While we are at it; what thoughts do you have about this motor mount?? I am only mounting a 2hp, maybe a 4hp, they are within a couple of pound of each other.

this is a home built design that will pivot up and down. My concern is whether it is strong enough for lateral forces. the material is aluminum and the pivot arms are 3/8".

Thanks

fc66d6c3.jpg

fc66d6c4.jpg

fc66d6c5.jpg

Hi Jake,

you have built it and rather than speculating in negative terms, the only sensible thing to do is to install and use it and see how it holds up. Most probably it will work just fine. Especially if the motor will run in a fixed forward (and reverse?) position and steering is taken care of by the rudder. Then the sideways forces will be quite limited. :D

Uhhh.... Yup, yup and yup. :) security line!! :) I am planning on this, just trying to make the mount first.

You all think the mount configuration is adequate????

I didn't like the over powering look of the commercial mounts. Heck, they take up one whole half of the transom. :) I wanted something solid, yet appealing to the eye, if you know what I mean. :)

Guys

I have first hand knowlage about putting a safety line on an outboard. I have used an electric motor on my canoe for years and have had it come off the mount at least 3 times. It was always fine for the first hour or two but it seams to loosen up somehow and I have had it go to the point of using the safety line to catch it about 3' down uunderwater. It has always worked when I pulled it up out of the water. With a gas engine I don't know how well it would run after taking a swim but my electric motors have always run fine afterwards.

One Question for you guys is when I use this in salt water do Ineed to do anything special to it other than rinse off when done ?

Many of the smaller outboards have sealed gear boxes where the prop is. If your lower gearbox is sealed, and you aren't taking water up into it, you can simply rinse off the outboard with fresh water. I also wait for it to dry, and spray some WD-40 on the metal (eventually, the salt water will turn the aluminum to mush or dry powder, and I've always thought the WD-40 was cheap insurance).

The larger lower ends have a water intake, and its important that these be run either with a flushing attachment, which looks like a set of headphones for your hose, or in a trash can full of fresh water, to get all the salt water out of the internals.

Since we are discussing outboards, I'll put in my .02. I was talking with an outboard motor dealer yesterday re: small gas motors (I'm in the market for one). He says that you should always run all the gas out of your carbuerator if you are not going to use the motor for any length of time. I can vouch for the bad results of not doing this because I just finished putting in a new carb kit in my 25 Evinrude. Gasoline in the tank and motor was probably 6to8 months old. Really gunky looking stuff. Dealer says that modern gasoline has oxidizers, etc that cause the gas-oil mix to break up in a few months. There is an additive you can add (which I bought some of) which will make the mix last longer.

The 25 is on a 13' Boston Whaler that I use for fishing. I'm guilty of not having the motor through-bolted to the transom or secured with a line. It has vibrated the clamps loose on the transom several times. This is a wake-up call for me. BTW, this rig will be going up for sale to help purchase a new motor for the Princess 22 that Charlie Jones is building for me.

Thanks for the tips, Ray and Jake. I also learned a hard lesson about storing an outboard off season by laying it on its back in my garage . It was (operative word is "was") a 9.9 Evinrude that I had bought along with a 18' Baymaster cb sloop. It was in good running shape when I took it off the boat to store in my garage - way too much motor for the boat, but that's what came with it. Anyway, the motor seized over the winter so tight that I could not save it. Apparently salt water had gotten into the cylinders from the exhaust ports and just sat there all winter. I had done this many times before with no problems, but never again!! I suppose I didn't flush it with fresh water or drain the engine well - I may have inadvertently gotten the lower unit raised above the power head while removing it from the transom. Expensive lessons learned....

Its a good idea to put a safety strap on you motor, all though the one we found in the bottom of the lake gave us many good years of service. I all ways wondered what the owner thought when he saw the motor disappearing off the back of the boat never to see it again. And yes we did try to find the owner. :lol: