B&B builders in Eastern Ontario, Canada

brookcreek

I miss sailing and am thinking that it may be time to add a performance dinghy/day-sailer/camp cruiser to my paddle boat collection. I have reviewed the many design reviews and keep coming  back to the B&B designs, CS-15/17 or Lapwing although a cuddy appeals for camp cruising.

I live in Cobourg, which is on Lake Ontario 100km east of Toronto. I am retired and will likely be sailing solo as my wife is not a water person although she will go canoe camping with me. I am looking for a reasonably stable hull that could still get out of its own way. Perhaps some Wednesday nights at the local club: has anyone had a handicap assigned?

Are there any builders in my area who would be willing to share their thoughts/experiences?

Thanks.

P

Hello P,

Northern Saskatchewan, while in Canada, isn't in your area (Carolinas are closer!!) but I'd be happy to share my experiences building a CS 17.  I'm new to sailing unless you count canoes and kayaks jury rigged with a camping tarp.  Louisa Rosa slipped into the water this fall after a leisurely build spanning two and half years.  She will be a nice part of the fast approaching retirement years.

P,

I live in Dunrobin, ON (just west of Ottawa) and have somewhat the same B&B boatbuilding plan as you.  Last year, I had started to investigate building a Princess 22 but now have downsize to the Belhaven 19.  I already have a camp cruising sailboat (Sea Pearl 21) but it's not stable/safe enough for some sailing areas in the Maritimes (where I spend parts of the summer).

I'm in the process of trying to order the study plans for the Belhaven from B&B but no response for the last week -- they must be out for Thanksgiving.

The Belhaven seems to fit my requirement very well for an easy-to-build trailerable beach cruising ballasted shallow draft sailboat.  Others that I have considered to complement my Sea Pearl: 

- Welsford Pathfinder

- Bolger - Chebacco

- Michalak's Picara 18

I should know more about the Belhaven by Xmas, and if I go ahead with the Belhaven build -- I'm sure I'll have some questions for this forum over the next year or two!

.. Denis

Hello P,

Northern Saskatchewan, while in Canada, isn't in your area (Carolinas are closer!!) but I'd be happy to share my experiences building a CS 17.  I'm new to sailing unless you count canoes and kayaks jury rigged with a camping tarp.  Louisa Rosa slipped into the water this fall after a leisurely build spanning two and half years.  She will be a nice part of the fast approaching retirement years.

Hi Rod,

Thanks for your feedback. SK is getting the wintry stuff right now - brrrrrrrrrr. Karen and I drove through on our way to Edmonton to visit our daughters in late September. I was really impressed with Saskatoon, a lovely city.

I am interested in hearing about your sailing experiences with Louisa Rosa. Where do you sail her? Lake Ontario is right down the street for me, plus I have Rice Lake and the Trent system 1/2 hour away.

Thank you.

Paul

P,

I live in Dunrobin, ON (just west of Ottawa) and have somewhat the same B&B boatbuilding plan as you.  Last year, I had started to investigate building a Princess 22 but now have downsize to the Belhaven 19.  I already have a camp cruising sailboat (Sea Pearl 21) but it's not stable/safe enough for some sailing areas in the Maritimes (where I spend parts of the summer).

I'm in the process of trying to order the study plans for the Belhaven from B&B but no response for the last week -- they must be out for Thanksgiving.

The Belhaven seems to fit my requirement very well for an easy-to-build trailerable beach cruising ballasted shallow draft sailboat.  Others that I have considered to complement my Sea Pearl: 

- Welsford Pathfinder

- Bolger - Chebacco

- Michalak's Picara 18

I should know more about the Belhaven by Xmas, and if I go ahead with the Belhaven build -- I'm sure I'll have some questions for this forum over the next year or two!

.. Denis

Hi Denis,

I am in Cobourg, a couple of hundred metres from Lake O. The Belhaven caught my eye also, but I am not certain about the cabin profile. It may be just the semi 3/4 photo angle that makes it look a bit stout. I would like to see other photos.

Regardless, my build may be postponed somewhat as I have some SWMBO projects to complete and a shoulder tendon to get repaired.

I  do like the Bolger and Welsford designs too but have not looked at Michalak's designs particularly. The current Small Boat Journal has an article where the author praises his Laguna so I might have to look more. Being an ex-dinghy and Kirby 25 sailor, I can't get excited about sssssslow boats. At the same time, I do not want to wear myself out. Contradictory objectives. ;-)

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes, Saskatoon is a nice city.  We are an hour and a half north in the forest which covers over half of Saskatchewan.  I spend a lot of time on the lakes in Prince Albert National Park - Sandy, Trappers, Waskasieu.  I intend to do some camp-sailing up on Reindeer Lake which provides hundreds of miles of arms and bays in a roadless setting.  Did that with a kayak and batwing rig a few years ago.  The local Cree were quite amused by what a southerner did for entertainment.

Sailed Louisa Rosa three times before freeze up.  The lightest breeze will move her along and that was without a staysail.  As others have said, B&B designs are light but strong.  I am able to get the CS17 on and off the trailer without too much effort.  Pulling it with a 4 cylinder Subaru is no problem.

One gusty afternoon I put in one reef and felt very comfortable sailing solo.  The rudder is light to the touch.

This winter I will add a couple of seat lockers and some toe rails on the bow to help with the footing.