Introducing MalwareBytes 3.0 (affiliate link)
Sign in to follow this  
High Altitude

Belhaven's cabin

I just saw Gman's Belhaven thread. His cabin looks fantanstic.

I really like the look of the Princess.

Do you guys think it would be possible (and look good of course) to put a princess style cabin on a Belhaven?

I wish I was able to do a quick sketch of some kind on the computer to see how it would look.  I tried to print out the boat from the website and draw it in but I gave up, I have no drawing talent.  :-(

martysgone    3

Ok, I know this is an old thread, but I would like to bump it because it is exactly the question I have been asking myself.

I am in a dilemma between building the Belhaven or P22.  I feel like the Belhaven is a better interior layout, definitely a quicker build, and easier overall to handle.  But the P22 is just so classic looking.  I realize that some of this is the sheer line that rises so high in the front.  But I think the Belhaven could look a little classier with a slightly longer cabin and lines similar to the P22.  Finish the sides and coamings bright and it might just satisfy in me what I feel the Belhaven lacks aesthetically.   Any takers on this discussion?

Randy Jones    7

I'm guessing we have the topic to ourselves while everyone else builds mark 3's.

After sailing a Belhaven for two seasons I don't see room for making the cabin longer without loosing important working space and a good sitting spot on the foredeck.  A quick comparison of the two boats shows quite a difference in displacement/length ratios which I think explains why the more slender P22 better looks better.   My future plans for the Belhaven include a second rub rail to trick the eye into seeing more shear and probably some contrasting paint to break-up the side profile similar to your idea of bright coamings.

Other than looks, I think the big difference is interior headroom, motor well in the P-22, and size in general.  As a tall guy I'd like a little more sitting head room in the B19, but otherwise very comfortable and don't think I would change anything significant.  I'm sure the P22 is even more comfortable.  Guess you just need to figure out how much boat you want.

• Like 1

martysgone    3

OK. I agree on losing fore deck space. But I can't help but think a traditional cabin design with a squared off front would help. A lot of the Selway Fisher pocket cruisers embrace this and look good. Sound like I need to build a model and experiment a bit.

Rusty    0

I, had the same thoughts as you and would love to see your drawing or model. i just bought belhaven plans to build .

I never thought the Belhaven would look good with the more traditional cabin type like the Princess. I love the looks of the Princess it looks good with that type of cabin because it match's the more traditional looking hull perfectly. The Belhaven has a much more modern looking hull so the cabin is modern looking.

As for head room the Belhaven actually has more head room by a few inches. The cabin is not as long though. For its size, the Belhaven as it is will be hard to beat for comfort. The only change I would make if I built another one would to build in a serious ice hold. I use mine for two weeks at a time.