I have never been happy with the skin I used on my Long Shot. It was the first time I used it and just was not impressed. However I LOVED this boat. So I knew very quickly that I would have to reskin it at some point.
I was caught up with shop projects and I wanted to take this boat to an event that was coming up but no way was I going to take it the way it looked. So I decided it was time to quit paddling it and rebuild it. I will just hit the high points of what I did.
Obviously the skin came off. While I had the it off I had a couple of 'bumps' I missed and wanted to sand down. Also, I have finally found a way to improve the frames and remove the one that hit you in the calf muscle. So I modified an existing frame and added another one. That's the beauty of lashing. Cut it out, replace it and lash it back in. Try that with a glued joint!
It had cracked deck stringer I need to replace. I was sitting on deck to steady it so someone could get in. I should have known better, but I found a spot the grain ran out and it cracked. With the skin off I could see it was no big deal and just glued it back together.
I reskined with polyester and I am trying latex paint this time for the waterproofing. I have read some great things on some of the Experimental Air Craft sites about latex on dacone. Now we have to see how it holds up in the water.
So here are the photos of it last night when I finished.
Long Shot * The sequel
No replies to this topic