Princess Sharpie 26 boat building

I have not started on the boat yet...perhaps by the first of the new year. I need to finish a covered build space and secure material and tool shed that I am working on.

Yes, it's those high-pitched 8-10's on Lake Michigan where I would have concerns with the Mystic Sharpie rudder. And if you are single-handing that design I would assume you would utilize roller reefing for the headsail.

What is the rudder problem you are concerned about?

Sharpie rudders are mounted on a shaft and can (should) be lowered, when desired. This style of rudder isn't particularly effective and can be heavy, which is why you see so much balance on them. The best thing you can do is kiss off the sharpie styling thing and install a well shaped kickup.

That boat is really pretty but two things that keep bouncing around my head are "good sitting headroom" and "32 foot boat".  My 20 footer has good sitting headroom and the 26 that I'm working on has good standing headroom.  The 20 is prettier than the 26 but the 26 is faster and will be more comfortable at anchor on a rainy day.  The catch is that I'm not sailing out to Cape Lookout any more - I'm sailing deeper waters so it's okay that my boat needs 3.5 feet of water to float.  If I had to contend with shallow waters again I'd happily go for good sitting headroom in order to keep the draft down (EC22... :) )

If you're sailing deep water and you want to be able to get out of the weather comfortably a drop-dead-gorgeous sharpie-yacht may not be the best boat.  On the other hand, if you're daysailing and don't need shelter down below I think you might be able to find a smaller design that is actually more fun to sail than the 32' Brewer boat.

Those are just my preferences, of course - Every boat is a bag of compromises and the trick is to get the right combination for you.

• Like 1

Sharpie rudders are mounted on a shaft and can (should) be lowered, when desired. This style of rudder isn't particularly effective and can be heavy, which is why you see so much balance on them. The best thing you can do is kiss off the sharpie styling thing and install a well shaped kickup.

Isn't it already a kick up type?