Gwenivere

Johnny Socko

My Weekender is named Gwenivere, This is her story.

Keel is laid (odd ritual, still pulling out the splinters but who am I to question tradition).

I used Poplar for the keel. I forgot how nicely it cuts, although it was slow going. It is heavy, top heavy as well. Though I can lift if my self it takes 2 because it wants to flop over.

I got my epoxy about a month ago, I didn't open it until I was ready to use it. That is when I found the leak. 1 bottle of part A leaked into the bag that is wrapped around the jug. that bag leaked a tiny bit. I'm guessing about a table spoon. But there was about 2 cups in the bag around the jug. I was able to salvage about a cup and a half of it. The leak must have been near the top of the jug because I put the leaker into a bucket and the bucket is still clean.

That epoxy is tricky stuff. It gets everywhere. I found a new use for it. Some got onto my shoes so I spread it around and now I have water proof shoes, a little stiff though.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That epoxy is tricky stuff. It gets everywhere. I found a new use for it. Some got onto my shoes so I spread it around and now I have water proof shoes, a little stiff though.

To see Buster Keaton do that would be totally hilarious, though I doubt you found it to be so.  Enjoy your build, there are many who look forward to hearing about it and pictures. 

(mostly pictures)  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a new love, she is a $29 Royobi angle grinder. I was filing and sanding the top of the keel to get it even. I was getting about a foot every half hour. After about 2 feet I was shot. The wife wanted to go to the Home Depot so I said lets go. That's when I saw her. She is now mine and a half hour after getting home the rest of the keel was done.

I have a new love, she is a $29 Royobi angle grinder. I was filing and sanding the top of the keel to get it even. I was getting about a foot every half hour. After about 2 feet I was shot. The wife wanted to go to the Home Depot so I said lets go. That's when I saw her. She is now mine and a half hour after getting home the rest of the keel was done.

I have a Makita and a DeWalt cordless...god sends when you gotta remove a lot of material in a short time. I use grinders at work all the time on metal so I have some practice with them. I did my Daggerboard with a power plane and the DeWalt...took about an hour and 10 minutes. I use a 60 grit flap wheel...(smuggled home from work)

Fin.JPG

width=850 height=398http://www.angelfire.com/ego/lewisboatworks/Stuff/Scowbuild/Foil.JPG[/img]

Today I get to watch real boats sail. CABBS - Cleveland Amateur Boatbuilding and Boating Society - is having a Mess-about at the LaDue Reservoir this morning. I met some of the guys at the boat show last Jan. The LaDue is almost in my back yard, this is where most of my learning will take place.

Aloha

John

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's about time I got going on Gwen. I lofted the hull bottom and cut the bow half.

Frank thanks for the user friendly site and search features, I got stuck at station 13. It took me less than 5 min. to find the answer in the archives.

The Wife and I had to sit in the lines to see how much room in the cabin there will be. That was fun.

Here is a link to my facebook photo album for Gwenivere.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gwenivere-Stevenson-Weekender-II/208603149579?v=photos

John

• 2 weeks later...

1 side on :-D now I am out of glue, screws, and I have an extra dog. My parents dropped off Lou Lou. He is a Border Collie and Lab mix. He was an accident at the breeder. Both of Lou Lou's parents are AKC. Kind of funny.

I wasn't sure how you were going to tie in being out of glue and screws with having an extra dog!  They used to call a Collie / Lab mix a "mutt"; I can imagine the chagrin at the breeder's when they realized FiFi and Fido got together!

If you want to load a bunch of pics at a time...upload them to a free picture hosting site, then view the picture and right click on it. Go to properties or view picture info or whatever will give you the exact address of the picture then put that address between this statement {img][/img} without any spaces added in your posts. You can put multiple pictures in your posts this way and they never leave the original hosting site...they just show up here too whenever the page is viewed. When you type it yourself...do not use the curly brackets...use the square ones for the whole statement. I can't do it here and have it show up...it thinks there is a picture between if I use the real thing.

eg: {img]http://angelfire.com/lewisboatworks/whatever.jpg[/img}