PS26 Blog

Welcome to the forum Bill.  Thanks for you blog - I will follow it with interest.  I am currently building a Lapwing (having built a CS 17).  I am interested in your idea of prefabing as much as you can before going 3D.  I hope to build a BH19, P22 or P26 at some stage - but am challenged by room.

Will follow your build with interest.

• 2 weeks later...

I've built the Princess 26 and her bigger sister the 28 many times in my head. I think up up to somewhere around 8 different cabin layouts for the both of them. 

At first glance, the CB and rudder would seem unusual places to begin.....BUT, once you get the hull completed, one of the first projects is to install the CB trunk, and that is sized to fit your CB. I think it will help to get the pivot pin holes lined up and everything sized right if you have the CB finished and available when drilling the holes.

It might also make sense to have the rudder completed, with hardware installed, so you can drill the holes for the gudgeon bolts while the transom is still flat, to make it easier to backfill the bolt holes with epoxy. Not sure about the order of the keel. That is an impressive mold he has going.

In fact, the whole thing is impressive.

• Like 1

Richard --

I am interested to hear how far (how many components) you plan to go before needing to start building the hull. For example are you planning to build the cabin top etc.

See the "About" tab on my website.  I list the components I plan to prefab.  I think it will be wise to wait to build the cabin top until the boat gets further along.

Bill

Howard --

...so you can drill the holes for the gudgeon bolts while the transom is still flat,...

FYI - the transom is flat, not curved.  It appears to be bowed from the plan view(s) because the top of the transom is curved and it is angled with the bottom of the transom further forward than the top (see side view).  Because of this angle, in the plan views(s) the top of the transom is farther aft than the outside edges giving the impression that the transom is bowed.  This visual is only the result of the CAD. 

Bill

Ooops. By flat, I meant "horizontal". I was thinking it would be easier and cleaner to deal with the bolt holes for the transom while it was still a sheet of plywood and before it became part of a boat. What I found from building the Spindrift was that gravity works. Anytime I could get a panel flat for coating or backfilling holes, it was many times easier.

But as for your description, I did also think the transom had a curvature. Its my understanding that a bit of curve....even a slight one......stiffens a ply panel considerably.  I guess I had assumed that was the case. Sounds like it simply angles aft a bit. Thanks for the clarification and keep the posts coming!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...