NC Wooden Boat Show this weekend

Designer

Just a reminder:  The North Carolina Wooden Boat show is this Saturday at Beaufort NC - in front of the NC Maritime Museum - on Front St.  B&B will be there with a Marissa eco-18 (still under construction), Outer Banks 20; moccasin 2, Catspaw, maybe a moccasin and whatever else our builders bring.  There will also be many traditional boats, and everything in between.......Tom Lathrop is a judge at the show. 

It's a great family event, with exhibits and  kids' stuff inside the museum.  There are some good restaurants and the old town area is just lovely to walk around - with some gorgeous older places restored and looking fine. 

We hope that  anyone who is in driving distance might take a day to explore this quaint shore-side town and visit us there.

Yes indeed!  I was there with three boats. My cedar strip dink, a 14' beach cat I built for my daughter, and my friend rounded out our eclectic display with a racing outboard hydroplane, BSH class.  Speed range for the three boats, about 2 knots for the dink to 67 MPH for the hydro.

We were in the back corner of the Museum parking lot under a nice shade tree - very comfortable. Erecting and taking down the 22' cat mast was a bit tricky since it was kind of stuck up through the tree branches, but we managed.

So Tom Lathrop was one of the crew with clipboards?  First clipboard lady asked us where our numbers were.  Darling Daughter replies, "Oh, we haven't sent on the state registration yet."  Nonono, sez the clipboard lady your boat show entry number.  My bad, I was so busy getting the boats set up I hadn't opened the manila envelope. 

Yes indeed!  I was there with three boats. My cedar strip dink, a 14' beach cat I built for my daughter, and my friend rounded out our eclectic display with a racing outboard hydroplane, BSH class.  Speed range for the three boats, about 2 knots for the dink to 67 MPH for the hydro.

We were in the back corner of the Museum parking lot under a nice shade tree - very comfortable. Erecting and taking down the 22' cat mast was a bit tricky since it was kind of stuck up through the tree branches, but we managed.

So Tom Lathrop was one of the crew with clipboards?  First clipboard lady asked us where our numbers were.  Darling Daughter replies, "Oh, we haven't sent on the state registration yet."  Nonono, sez the clipboard lady your boat show entry number.  My bad, I was so busy getting the boats set up I hadn't opened the manila envelope. 

All projects passed inspection and was superb workmanship! By the way what was the name of the engine on the hyroplane?

All projects passed inspection and was superb workmanship! By the way what was the name of the engine on the hyroplane?

Sidewinder. Manufactured by Racing Outboards LLC. It is a redesigned American Hot Rod engine which was a rotary valve induction 2-stroke and capable of 9,000+ RPM.  The Sidewinder is reed valve induction, less RPM but easier to start, and has the Lectron carburetor  mounted on the side of of the crankcase - the reason for the name "Sidewinder." The Sidewinder is available in several displacements.  The one on the hydro was 20 c.i. and is raced in the BSH and 20ssH classes.

For more info > http://www.apba-racing.com/index.html

I had very little time to stand about oggling the boats on display but did stop at the hydro to admire the unusual engine.  I assumed it was class B and similar to my Merc Mark 20 but way hotter.  I don't think I will ever see 67mph on the water.

I was judging the boatbuilding contest and not the display boats which would have been more fun, I'm sure.

Right, Tom, the old Hot Rod B and Sidewinder B are a tad faster than a Mercury 20H which is no longer used in Stock class B, and rarely seen in Modified.

I love the boat building contest. Last year as a spectator I prowled the display boats and then parked on a bench for an hour or more to watch the wood shavings fly.  I think a TV crew should film the contest.  4 hours fits the sports event TV sports frame, and the event would be easy to edit down to a couple hours or even one hour to make a super cable TV show!  Might be me, but I would rather watch that than the usual cable drivel that sends me fleeing to the workshop.

P.S.  I won! Best of Show in Row category = "Missy" my 9' cedar strip dinghy.