BnB Belhaven19 vs Shell Boats Great Blue Heron?

ricknriver

Hi, Just about to dive into a BH19 but fell on Shell Boats site and saw their "similar" Great Blue Heron 19'.  My first build and bit scared to build the BH19 from just plans. Heron comes as a "complete" kit for $9k.  Anyone know how they compare in sailing quality, features, etc?  Suprisingly looks like few of either been built yet seem like nice fun weekenders. Little info on the Shell Boats site.  Thanks, Rick

Rick,

No one has offered any words of wisdom on your question so I will give an opinion.  I've only seen one version of the Shell boats and am not familiar with them in any detail.  From what I see on the Shell website, they seem quite different from the B&B boats in most every detail.  In short, there should be no difficulty in choosing between them since favoring one will surely eliminate the other.

Belhaven is much more of a little cruising boat that could be reasonably comfortable for a couple for several days on the water.  With well designed underwater appendages, Belhaven can be expected to get to windward much quicker.  Blue Heron is smaller and therefore more restricted in interior room.  Cabin fever will set in much quicker on bad weather days.  The shallow keel of the Shell boats does not promise efficient weatherly performance.

As always, individual preference is paramount is choosing a boat.  My choice would be the Belhaven. 

Hi Tom, Thank you very much for the information.  Felt that way too but since I'm new to these designs and constructions was fishing for some reinforcement.  A Belhaven it will be.  I probably will be a real forum pest when I get started :D. Thankfully I'm close to many of you.  Hope my building friend won't mind the extra construction time in his shop over the CS17 we originally planned.  R

• 2 years later...