Time to call it good enough

Daniel Gross

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Dan,

It looks like we are at about the same spot.  Boy the painting and smoothing and deciding take forever.  I got tired of hanging around so I just painted it even though there are some spots to improve.  I want to go sailing soon so I am just making sure everything is sealed up and protected.  The funny thing is that everyone that comes into the shop is knocked over.  Go figure.  I'm not thrilled with the finish, but it seems to fool most folks.  It is so blasted hot here now that hanging around on the nice cold water makes alot more sense than hanging around in the shop.

Take a look at the current Wooden Boat magazine.  There is an article about mast boots and wedges.  For a 5 degree shift, you may be able to get away with shaving the bottom of the tabernacle a little bit and wedge it to the right angle.

Al

Take a look at the current Wooden Boat magazine.  There is an article about mast boots and wedges.  For a 5 degree shift, you may be able to get away with shaving the bottom of the tabernacle a little bit and wedge it to the right angle.

I think this is good advice ... use wedges driven in the space between the mast and the mast box to adjust the angle.  It also gives you the chance to fine tune it later.

I ended up with the wedge idea because of a screw up building the mast box.  I miscalculated the dimensions of the box, so my mast was in it with room to spare.  If your mast doesn't have any room to move in the mast box, maybe you might want to rip it down a kerf or so to give you some play. 

Another mistake I made was to not read the whole article before running out the door to implement the idea.  I made my frame out of hardwood with mitred corners which looks great for something that is going to get covered up for the rest of its life.  The article suggested to make the frame out of plywood which makes much more sense and would be way easier. 

Tomorrow I'm going to knock out one wall of my shop to move the boat outdoors.  Yehaa!

Al

• 1 month later...

I can't hardly believe it's been over a moth since I last updated, so here ya go :D

I got the mast box fixed to within 2deg, I'm ok with that.

I finished painting, non-skid, steering, carved out the trailboards, made garboards, bolted on

bits and pieces including the splash coamings.

We've been busy, and it shows.

post-0-129497639507_thumb.jpg

post-1820-129497704032_thumb.jpg

post-1820-129497704035_thumb.jpg

post-1820-129497704037_thumb.jpg

post-1820-12949770404_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there, new guy here.  Very nice work on your boat.  I Love it.  I'm starting to rebuild a Finn Dinghy right now, so, this thread will be a great reference point for all the epoxying and painting ahead. 

My main boat is a Sundance 23 sailboat and I'm trying to get down to sail her about every other day, or more, after work.  Soon it'll be dark after work and that'll take care of that. 

So, my project boat will start out by getting a new bottom, over the old, which I stripped down to good wood.  She's a little thin in places.

Anyway... Cheers

Excellent thread on finishing, painting, etc.  Has anyone tried any of the two-part industrial paints used to paint off-shore oil rigs?  I would think they would hold up well.  Most are applied to steel and not over epoxy or wood, but if primed properly, perhaps these paints would work well.  How would they roll and tip?  Anyone know?

We took D.W. to the lake yesterday, the wind was a bit much for a shakedown cruise 17mph gusting to 23.

We just tied up to the dock for a photo shoot and to see if it floats :lol: :lol:

I must have done ok on the sails, she wanted to take off!

I am looking at later this week to get some time under sail.

74409_458465227179_688797179_5310512_2208869_n.jpg

72591_457992407179_688797179_5301566_194471_n.jpg

72532_457991972179_688797179_5301550_514591_n.jpg

Whooo!  Nice job!

I see you went with the dead eyes, and home made blocks.  I use them on my weekender too.  I really like them for getting a quick set up and launch.  I tie mine a bit different, but I really like the look as well as the practicality.  I also really like the artistic color scheme. 

Well done.  Let us know how the first sail goes.

Al Stead