New Weekender Started--NAPA, CA!

napaman

Hi Everyone...I got my workshop and patio space cleaned up, ordered wood, rec'd wood and cut some stringers this week!!!  So a new Weekender is off and running...

I have been a member of the lumberjocks.com woodworking forum for 3 years so I am writing a blog and posting all pictures there but wanted everyone to know I am started...

I have actually already written 3 (word, lol) blogs there...the first one starts here:

http://lumberjocks.com/matt1970/blog/14831

And the 3rd entry in the series---where I have photos and questions for builders is here---would love it if you could take a look and give me some feedback...

http://lumberjocks.com/matt1970/blog/14880#comment-638069

I will use the lj forum so that I can keep my family and friends involved as well...and they can check my other woodworking projects there...

Would love some feedback on that 3rd post (2nd link here)...

Thanks for all the confidence and support so far...I have not posted too often here but I have read a lot...

Matt aka Napaman

Got the keel parts cut...at least outside laminations.  The rough cut the stem parts but will go back and re-cut them with my band saw since they are smaller...

Will update more thoroughly when I finish the keel...unfortunately even long weekends have to come to an end...

matt

You're making good progress.  On the voids and knots, filling them with epoxy is more than acceptable if you are going to leave the boat on the trailer most of the time.  A lot of the "conventional wisdom" about boat building assumes the boat will be launched and then never taken out of the water, but there's a lot more leeway when building a little trailer sailor!

I would also start with epoxy, rather than DAP Weldwood glue ... just because its much more versatile.  The Weldwood glue is very hard to use as a filler, and its a bear to sand.  I still have some on my garage floor.

Thanks Frank!!!  I am still in the process of learning about all these things...Warren and I are going to get together this weekend to walk around West Marine and look at all the products...

I will make the  rest of the cuts and fill the hole hopefully by sunday night...and I may have a keel by the following weekend...

I will post new photos on LJ's at that point...thanks for taking the time to go to LJ;s and check out my blog!!

Is there a way to set my account so when someone replies to my post/blog I get an e-mail...???

Thanks...matt

Is there a way to set my account so when someone replies to my post/blog I get an e-mail...???

Yep, you can ask the forum to "Notify" you when there's new activity in the thread.  The notifications follow your preferences set in your "Profile" ... so visit your Profile first by clicking the link in the top menu bar that says "Profile", and then clicking on the link "Notifications and email" under "Modify Profile" in the left column.  There you can set your notifications to include the text of the reply, etc.  While you're in your profile, make sure your email address is correct on "Account Related Settings" under "Modify Profile" in the left column. 

Go back to the message you want to track.  Click the little "Notify" button at the top right of the thread (its also repeated at the bottom).  You'll get a yes/no dialog box; say yes and notifications will be sent.

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning Napa Man.  Just down the road in American Canyon.  Been working on my Weekender forever, seems.  Best of luck on your project.  Great information to be had here and byyb.  I have used much in the mods I have made.  Hey Frank thanks for getting me in.  You never put in your site how long your tiller is.  Did I miss it?  Have you had any problems with your mast folding system?  Thanks to all for your good advice, pops