Graham to Mystic

anchorh

In today's email from Woodenboat, a notice that Graham and Marissa would be on hand for the Woodenboat Festival in Mystic, CT this June. Combine this with Graham's teaching stint at the Woodenboat school and he's going to be suffering from separation anxiety for Carolina.

Congratulations to him for his due recognition and to the members here for our "finding" him before the rest of the world.

• 3 months later...

I will be at the show on Saturday for certain.  I will try to be at Graham's exhibit at 2 pm and maybe bump into any others visiting.  I may go tomorrow as well, as a member of Mystic Seaport I can visit as often as I want for no admission fee.  Hope to see some others there.

I just got back from the show.  I got to spend some time chatting with Graham and then got to meet Norm Colter (P22) and Tim Mauser (CS 20).  Norm was easy to recognize as he was the only one at the show wearing a dust mask.  ;)  It's always nice to be able to meet fellow boat builders, and especially fellow posters here in the forum.  Mystic Seaport is a great place for this type of show.  I might just have to go back for the last day tomorrow.

Thank you Norman and Joe for the great pictures of the Marissa, what a good looking boat.

I am patiently waiting for a performance report, as I am thinking this may be my first power boat build.

I would love to hear about how it transitions to plane with the fine bow entry, and would there be a lack of buoyancy at the bow if 3 people sat up front? Is 30 hp enough if you are operating the boat close to DWL most of the time? How does it perform at semi plane speeds as that seemed to be one of Graham's goals?

Graham is in the middle of two weeks of boat building courses at the Woodenboat School in Maine.

Sally and I did have the privilage of riding along on her first real outing.

The ride was thrilling and from what I could tell Marrisa is quite seaworthy.

Before we got out of the breachway which is a 5mph zone we were passed by a charter fishing boat. We had to cross that wake at the same time as the wake of an incoming trawler. Marrisa had no difficulty with the steep waves.

I can't say I noticed a transition onto plane. I think the transition must have been pretty subtle, but I was not at the helm.

We had four mid sized people on board and Graham has a 30 hp outboard. Weeee had tons of power. :lol:

Please bare in mind that almost all my boating experience has been in sailboats, canoes and kayaks. I could not be considered a good judge of  power boat performance.

I know Graham intends to gather some performance data. He can give you the real information.