Core Sound 20 #130

Twetmore

I agree, Wes's bracket is nice, not sure that I have the reasources to make something like that though, welding stainless steel is out of my area of expertise, I remember reading somewhere that he had a family member do it for him or with him. I figure by the time I find someone that can do it and pay them I will go over the price of a commercial bracket. Good thoughts though.

Hi Twetmore,

I didn't notice the discussion of my bracket until now, or I would've chimed in sooner. Yes, you're correct that the Garelick bracket is a good bet. My custom bracket was a labor of love from a dad who is very generous with his time and really wanted to contribute something to our boat; otherwise, I wouldn't even have bothered with it. The other factor, at the time, was that I was really worried about whether to mount a motor at all and I worried that if I changed my mind later and did not want the motor anymore, I would be left with a large bracket attached. But, as I expected, the motor has turned out to be a tremendous convenience on the rare occasions I need to get back to the dock on a tight deadline, and it does not adversely affect sailing, so it is always along with us. Had I known that earlier, I wouldn't have bothered with a custom mount at all, but would've just bought a Garelick-style lifting bracket/mount, as they work well. As it stands, I'm delighted to have a cool custom job from my dad as part of our boat, but it doesn't offer any significant advantage except sentimental value and a nifty discussion piece.

Peter - I am trying to get the smallest one possible which will hold my motor, the problem I have is that I got a great deal on a brand new Tihatsu 4hp four stroke outboard. I am not sure why but there is a difference in the rating of the brackets for a 2 stroke and 4 stroke which really beefs it up.

I'm sure all of these brackets are strong enough for the little motors we are fitting, 2 or 4 stroke notwithstanding. If in doubt I'd phone the manufacturer/seller to get the best one for such a small outboard.

Cheers

Peter HK

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Has anyone tried to use a 4" PVC pipe and slip fittings for the forward mast tube? I made my mast out of wood using birdsmouth method and it is about 3-3/4" diameter and inside of 4" pvc is 4" diameter. Is this too loose? If I make sure that the ends of the PVC are fixed and tight is there any reason it would not work? I would imagine it is stronger than a couple of layers of glass and more rot resistant. Also, it is not visible unless you are inside the compartment which I am fine with.

It just seems to easy to work in comparison to a fiberglass tube.

Thanks,

Tom

I would imagine it is stronger than a couple of layers of glass and more rot resistant.

I doubt it is either. But also the tolerance is way off. Mast tubes are custom made to your mast section. This way they are just big enough to get the mast in and out and no more. 1/4" of movement at the step or partner, never mind both, will yield a lot more at the top of the mast. The constant movement while sailing will lead to a lot of wear as well.

If you encased the bottom of the PVC structurally, did the same at the deck, enlarged the butt of your mast to just fit inside the PVC and used shims or a collar at the partner it might work as the PVC would then just be a sleeve with no structural part in the system. But this seems more trouble than it is worth. The fiberglass mast tube has proven itself. You also need to decide if you want to be the guinea pig for a new method.

Some years ago , before I built the Core sound, I built a Welsford Golden Bay dinghy. In the plans the space under the foredeck wasn't sealed and water could drain back into the cockpit bilge. I wanted to seal this area for buoyancy so after a bit of thought I built in a PVC tube around the mast and drained it out the bottom. It has worked OK so far (about 10 years). I didn't use the the PVC in any structural way however and the mast fits into a wooden mast step and bears only on the wooden king plank at deck level where I drilled a hole 2mm larger than the mast. The PVC tube was glued and glassed onto the mast step and under the king plank and the mast never touches it. The Gougeon brothers recommend flaming (not burning) the PVC for better epoxy adhesion as this can be a problem.

post-425-0-31812200-1322083704_thumb.jpg

post-425-0-34607800-1322083718_thumb.jpg

Having said that I would never do it that way again- the fitted fibreglass tube is easy, elegant, stronger and more durable. I'd be prepared to hit the fibreglass tube in my CS17 with a hammer, certain in the knowledge it wouldn't break. I'm always careful as I'm inserting the mast in the Welsford dinghy not to bump the PVC as I have no such confidence in it.

Cheers

Peter HK

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Got another good weekend in and it is starting to look like something. Decks are installed and the coaming is 75% done. Hope to be finished with two more weekends of hard work. Still need to get my hardware from B&B and figure that will take me a weekend or two figuring out and installing. I have some better pictures but didn't have time to upload them from the camera.

post-759-0-08596900-1328540257_thumb.jpg

post-759-0-09513800-1328540266_thumb.jpg

post-759-0-26809400-1328540275_thumb.jpg

post-759-0-72239400-1328540287_thumb.jpg

post-759-0-53695400-1328540297_thumb.jpg

post-759-0-41358100-1328540307_thumb.jpg

Looking good!

Hope to be finished with two more weekends of hard work. Still need to get my hardware from B&B and figure that will take me a weekend or two figuring out and installing.

Try not to get too hung up on projections of a time line. Boats take a lot longer to finish than most people (myself included) think. Just keep plugging along and keep up your standard of workmanship.

The biggest time things where waiting for hardware/epoxy from B&B and running to Ace's or Lowe's for stainless screws/bolts. In the future I would preorder and stockpile disposable gloves, foam brushes, rollers, and buy common stainless screws/bolts, & sandpaper (lots of 80 grit) from Ducks Works or somewhere cheaper then ACE & Lowe's.

The decks where the funnest/easiest part especially with lessons learned from the sides and bottom.

A higher quality rotary sander would have made sanding the epoxy much easier and faster.

I like scraping epoxy - use Red Devil scrapers sharpened frequently with a fine mill file, and cabinet scrapers. Faster and no dust! If you catch the epoxy goobles when they're green a scraper shaves them down like butter.

I'm with on the stockpile. Have at two boxes each nitrile & latex gloves, econo packs of sandpaper (#40 grit my fav for shaping out), and packs of rollers. Buy chip brushes by the gross - never have enough. Oh yeah, an industrial size box of tongue depressors AKA stir sticks.

Hokeyhydro - Those tongue depressors are a life changer. I started by creating my own from scrap wood materials. The depressors make a nice uniform fillet and I don't worry about tossing them out afterwards.

Hirilond - I figured out a while back that I am better off taking my time, enjoying what I am doing, and paying attention so that I do it correct. I have made a few small mistakes or things I could have done better that I wish I had taken my time on and now have to live with. Now I am just enjoying the project while I can.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am going to throw it out there again and I know that I have asked a couple of different times. I purchased the Garelich 4 stroke outboard bracket and could not bring myself to put it on my boat. It is way too big and goes against everything on the boat. I bought this one because it is specifically designed for a 4 stroke motor but it is clearly designed for a larger motor (max 30hp).

(http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=6480&familyName=Outboard+Motor+Bracket+for+4-Stroke+Motors+-+9-1%2F2+inches+travel)

Does anyone have any better solutions? I am nervous about making something out of wood. I am not sure that the 2 stroke motor mounts are much smaller.

Thanks,

Tom

That mount is certainly overkill.

I bought a smaller one (some Italian brand but similar) and it's very functional but none of these are pretty. I suppose it's like the Peanuts cartoon when Lucy walks past Snoopy and says "who would wear a fur coat in summer". The thought bubble over Snoopy read- "some of us prefer to sacrifice comfort for style"

I'll attach some photos of my bracket so you can judge if the smallest lifting aluminium bracket will suit you.

As I said they work really well, so I chose comfort over style.

post-425-0-48700500-1331015964_thumb.jpg

post-425-0-36064100-1331016016_thumb.jpg

post-425-0-60398400-1331016182_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Peter HK