Rescue Minor Under Construction

Steve Day

"What are you using on the flat keel area?"

We're using 3/8" on the whole hull. The mitigating factor is that the keel will get at least two layers of 9 oz fiberglass cloth. We are thinking that will be enough for us. We are planning to beach the boat frequently, so that is a concern, but we think it will be OK. Obviously, we will be monitoring the situation as we begin to use the boat.

Steve

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"What are you using on the flat keel area?"

We're using 3/8" on the whole hull. The mitigating factor is that the keel will get at least two layers of 9 oz fiberglass cloth. We are thinking that will be enough for us. We are planning to beach the boat frequently, so that is a concern, but we think it will be OK. Obviously, we will be monitoring the situation as we begin to use the boat.

Steve

Do not pass go, but spend a few bucks and buy some biaxall glass. 1708 which is used for polyester boats but bulks up nicely or if you can find some 1208 or 1808 and create a glass shoe. I use three layers of this even on my small skegs and then roll finish cloth across it. Then seal the glass shoe "leather" and bottom with Interprotect 2000E barrier coat. You and your boat will love you forever!

Do not pass go, but spend a few bucks and buy some biaxall glass. 1708 which is used for polyester boats but bulks up nicely or if you can find some 1208 or 1808 and create a glass shoe. I use three layers of this even on my small skegs and then roll finish cloth across it. Then seal the glass shoe "leather" and bottom with Interprotect 2000E barrier coat. You and your boat will love you forever!

If you are looking for a resilient bottom then there is some serious wisdom to Oyster's advice.  I question however whether Interprotect does anything that your epoxy resin does not.  A primer may be required before paint, depending on your choice of paint, but I doubt Interprotect is any more waterproof than the epoxy itself.  I think Interlux is making a fortune on the product by marketing to the fears of boat owners regarding making boat bottoms waterproof.  I would go directly from epoxy to what ever primer is best for your next coating of paint. 

Have you ever attempted to sand Interprotect 2000E? Let it cure for about a week and report back.

Yes I have.  I used it on the bottom of my Renegade.  I have also use Awlgrip 545 and other 2 part epoxy primers.  I did not say Interprotect was no good, I said it may not be the best choice depending on what paint you are finishing with.  545 hardens in much the same way.  They both take over a month to reach maximum hardness.

Hey Guys,

I went over to the boat today and Wally had put most of the planking on the port side this week, so I got to fair those in today. I started with the long board sander today to get the hull smoothed out. A lot of work, but it is looking better. I also got most of the keel edges rounded with a decent radius on the starboard side using the block plane and finishing with the long board sander.

The camera is packed for a boat delivery I am doing next weekend, so I did not get any pictures.

I will be out of touch for several days starting Wednesday. My crew and I are moving a boat from Clear Lake (near Galveston) to Mobile. we intend to leave Clear Lake on Thursday morning and should arrive Monday or Tuesday of the next week. It is looking like we are going to have a reasonable weather window on those days. The trip should be interesting. Our route will be direct to the mouth of the Mississippi and direct to Mobile.

We will take any prayers for our safe passage that you care to offer.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

We got back to Mobile Monday at about 1600 hrs. Left Kemah, TX on Thursday morning and had an "interesting" crossing. Dead calm Thursday, howling winds at 25+ knots on Friday (5-6 foots seas with short period), dead calm on Saturday freshening to 10-15 knots (nice sailing), wind on the nose Saturday night and Sunday, wind on the beam Sunday night (25+ knots of wind and 10-12 foot seas with longer period [nicer ride]), a rousing good beam reach sail in big ground swell approaching Mobile Bay, and a wind-less ride up Mobile Bay on Monday afternoon.

We had a great time and it could be classified as a good delivery voyage. We got the boat here with no damage and it performed well on the trip. The only real complaint I might have is that it was COLD for most of the trip.

We are glad to be home.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got over to work on the boat today! The project today was to get the stem cut down to have a fair cutwater. Lots of work with the plane and sanding, but it looks pretty good. I didn't get a chance to take a picture, but am hoping to take one tomorrow morning when I go over to cut down some of the filler material for the "final fit".

We got a little sticker shock when we priced a new 21 horsepower Yanmar diesel for the boat. The quote was $7300 plus freight and tax!!  :shock: Now that we have a ballpark figure, we are going to look more closely at rebuilt engines. This has been a learning experience, to say the least.

We have the whole hull planked and mostly faired in except one plank back by the stern block. This was left off to facilitate boring the hole for the propeller shaft stern tube. We will be measuring for and (hopefully) boring the hole this weekend.  :-? That should leave us ready to glass the boat, which is a big step.

Merry Christmas!

Steve

Wall and I finally got to work on the boat a little today. We have the hull almost ready for fiberglass, except for one panel at the stern that we have left off until we drill the hole for the prop shaft.

Before we drill the hole, we need some information on the typical configuration for propeller shafts in small boats. We need to know the relationship among the stern tube, the seal, any bearings, and the shaft. I sent a question to a guy that recently built a Rescue Minor and I hope to get an answer soon. If any of you guys have some advice, please let us know.

Here are a couple of shots taken today.

Steve

post-256-129497692901_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497692917_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497692932_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497692951_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497692964_thumb.jpg

post-256-129497692978_thumb.jpg

We drew the frames fom the drawings and the measurements provided with the plans and then built them on the bench. Then we layed out the frames on a strongback and the lines were evident at that time. There was a frame that had to be built up about 3/4" to provide fair lnes, and a couple that had to be planed a bit. Otherwise, the planking went very well.

Working with a partner is really a good idea, particularly when you are trying to figure out how to accomplish something. Most of the time lately, only one of us can work at a time due to our schedules, but we sill get together to problem-solve. We are going to have to schedule the fiberglass operation so that both of us can be there all day for that. That could evolve into a couple of days/evenings for the whole process. It might have gone a bit faster if I was working in my own garage vice Wally's barn as the barn is 5 miles from the house, but he has more room than I do. Not to mention the expenes are split in this instance.  :grin:

Steve