Spindrift

grj

I am about to order plans for the Birder kayak, but also considering building a Spindrift. Looking over many post about the Spindrift several folks built the 10' model. Why is that instead of the 12' model which would have much more room in my mind?

Is the 12' model large enough to handle an adult and small child or 2? Ultimately I want to build a CS 15 or 17 or 20. I plan to build the Birder with exterior Luan, the Spindrift with either Fir or ACX. If I feel confident in my building skills and the family likes to sail some, I will build one of the CSs with marine plywood.

Any other information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

grj

I was in the same situation a year ago that you are in now.  I thought I would get my feet wet (no pun intended) by building the Birder but then I decided that sailing a boat vs rowing sounded a lot better to me.  So I decided to build the S12 cat rig.  I am nearing completion on it.  I have a 9 year old and a 12 year old that are really excited about going sailing when the boat is done.  The S12 will easily accommodate one adult and two kids, it might even hold 2 adults and 2 kids.  I will let you know when I launch.  I chose the 12 because I wanted to go out with my kids.

I also think I will someday build one of the CS models, someday.

I would also recommend building with the marine plywood even though it might be your first build.  There are a lot of threads on this forum and the main forum touting the reasons to use the good stuff.  I know it is more expensive but if you want a cheap hobby try crocheting not boat building.  :grin:

Grj,

I was in about the same place you are in 2001. I built a spindrift 10 as a practice boat. I used $13 fir plywood because I wanted to go cheap on my practice boat. Then I realized I needed to fiberglass the whole thing to avoid the checking. I glassed all but the transom. The year following the S10 I built a CS 20. The S10 has been upside down next to the garage with a cover on it ever since. I just recently glassed the transom and plan to put the S10 back in service to row around with the grand children.

I spent more on my cheap S10 that it would have cost for good ply by the time the extra epoxy and fiberglass was included. My S10 is a bit on the heavy side as well. I think I chose the S10 because I thought I would car top it. Mine turned out to heavy for me to car top.

If your target is a Core Sound, I suggest you build a Core Sound to begin with. or perhaps a Bay River Skiff.

Good luck and have fun.

I am about to order plans for the Birder kayak, but also considering building a Spindrift. Looking over many post about the Spindrift several folks built the 10' model. Why is that instead of the 12' model which would have much more room in my mind

grj

Is this an either or choice, or are you doing both? If it's in addition to and you want to build a Spindrift, what's it for? Rowing, sailing, a tender?

I built the 10 footer and on a recent raftup, a couple adults went for little row in her. Hubby rowing, The admireable in the stern. From a distance, the boat handled fine and could easily have had another adult in the bow to balance her out. Now that I think about it, a couple teenage girls also took a spin....sitting side by side and both rowing. They got along with no problems.

Picture268.jpg

I am building both. I talked with Carla yesterday and she was very helpful. The Spindrift will be sailed. I decided to go with it since I have never sailed and may not like sailing. The wife and 2 children will want to tag along also so decided on the 12' version. I was considering building a CS 15 but so many people are in love with their CS 17s and CS 20s that has been put on hold until I get hands on experience. If the family likes sailing we may build a larger boat. The Spindrift is a test to see if all goes well. When I read the post on this board, everyone seems to have a vast amount of skills and knowledge. What they say is easy sounds difficult (even impossible) to me. I figure if I blow a Spindrift, oh well, If I blow a CS 17, then shame on me for wasting so much time and money. I did not want to practice on a more costly boat. If we do not like sailing I can probably sell a Spindrift to another family that wants to try sailing as it will be less costly to them.

Anyway, I am tired of rambling.

Love your picture.

grj

Wouldn't want to discourage you from the fun of building a boat, but there are easier.....and less expensive..... ways to find out if you like sailing.  :)

Unless the prospect of sailing is secondary to the hobby aspect of building a boat, I'd bum a ride on someone else's existing boat first.

I have thought about that approach. The problem with it is that it does not allow you to really see if you like sailing. I have been on a sailboat 2 times. The first was to complete a class for lessons. We did not catch a single sail as there was absolutely no wind. The second time was on a charter in Gulf Shores, AL with very light wind. If I based sailing on those trips it would not even be considered. If it were to be a great day for sailing it would no doubt be fun. But does that mean you really want to do it?

So in my opinion it seems that I need to get out there and do it. If I enjoy it, I will continue. If my family enjoys it, I will continue. If not, I will sell or give the boat to the next group that wants to give it a try.

Another reason for building is to have a project that will allow me to spend time with my family both on the project and secondly with them using the final result.

Lastly, as a computer programmer I know full well the joy of starting a new project, working on it and bringing it to completion. Many posts that I have read over the last several years while investigating boat plans have said how great the feeling was to sail the labors of their own hands. I am getting to old and out of shape for sports. Golf is getting expensive. May as well try something else (expensive).

I do appreciate all the input and advice. I still have a few decisions to make concerning building. Most pressing is whether to use marine ply or go cheap with ACX or Fir. I have seen compelling arguments for both. Unfortunately, I cannot get marine ply in my area. I have not checked to see if anyone would order it for me. It is strange because I live in Southwest Louisiana. We have water sports of every kind but no one seems to build boats in this area. They all buy aluminum and glass boats. Maybe it is the instant gratification thing.

grj

Too funny, I am also a computer programmer.  I wonder if there is some connection wired into the brain related to building boats and programming or is it just a general desire to build things.  I know that as someone who sits at a desk, I am attracted to boat building for the appeal of building something physical instead of virtual.  I know that I have greatly enjoyed the building process.  There is always something to do and you get to figure out how to solve the next problem/challenge.  There are some parallels in there to writing and debugging programs or complex applications.  I started my boat last October and never really set a deadline. I don't need deadlines for my hobby, I have plenty of those at work.

My kids, 9 and 12, were able to help with the build on a limited basis.  All the spinning metal objects, chemicals(epoxy) and cursing(yours truly) limited there time in the shop.  If they were older I would have involved them more.  Maybe when I build the CS.

On the subject of plywood, I ended up ordering mine from Boulter plywood.  I had to pay for the shipping but even if I could have found it locally I would have had to rent a truck to get it from there to my house or pay them to ship it to me.  Sot it was shipped from Maine to Georgia.  Darnit, Should have picked crocheting!

Craig

If you can get a kit for the 12, the plywood problem will be solved.  All will be 1088 Okoumi.  If you are buildong just fom plans, order some Okoumi anyway.  The wood handles totally differently - no checks - no voids.  There's another thread going talking about how much extra work it was trying to seal fir, plus the extra weight.

Spindrift kits are a possibility, according to a recent conversation with Carla.  They're still working out the details and will make an announcement when they're ready.

I'm excited about that.  I've done one S&G project, and for me the layout and cutting was the most anxiety-ridden part.  I kept thinking "if I do this wrong, it'll be wrong, even if I do everything else right."  With known good panels,  I figure that the basic hull shape will be correct even if I do everything else wrong.

Hi,

Sorry for the confusion - the Spindrift 12 kit IS available now.  The announcement we will be making has nothing to do with the Spindrifts - although it has affected Graham's work schedule in terms of finishing the Ocracoke and Outer Banks designs, it has nothing at all to do with the Spndrifts.  I guess we chatted about so much it got confusing.  Carla

Has anyone used the wood declared below or can anyone recommend it. I found it at World Panel which is one of the distributors listed by Graham in my Spindrift plans. It cost $47.80 for 6mm.

HydroCore Marine Plywood, similar to the Powerply product without the rot resistance. Approved to the BS1088 standards, and very durable for most aspects of boatbuilding.

Thanks,

grj

I've used Hydrocore successfully for boat construction.  However, it is significantly heavier than Okoumi, maybe about 20% - don't remember exactly.  This is its biggest drawback when weight is an issue.  The face veneers are thinner than the core layers - maybe started the same before final sanding.  Its also stiffer at the same thickness.  Can cause some slight variations in hull shape vs okoumi.  The veneer color/grain is also a bunch different from okoumi - finishes out a reddish brown very similar to some versions of old mahogany.  As w/ okoumi, it only works if it is well sealed w/ epoxy.