Leave no yawning gaps between;

Think not, because no man sees,

Such things will remain unseen.

In the elder days of Art,

Builders wrought with greatest care

Each minute and unseen part;

For the Gods see everywhere.

-Longfellow

Uh oh.  Your thread's been hijacked and turned into a poetry contest!

Okay, too much classic literature. To become more contemporary, from Jimmy Buffett and Alan Jackson on JB's album, "License To Chill"...

I've got boards to bend,

I've got planks to nail,

I've got charts to make,

I've got seas to sail.

I'm going to build me a boat

With these two hands.

She'll be a fair curve

From a noble plan.

Let the chips fall where they will,

'Cause I've got boats to build.

Steve

• 1 month later...

The Princess 28 is ready for some primer, but before we do that I've been giving some serious thought to the keel assembly. The rough blank is finally glued up and ready for final shaping, glassing and installation. Excavating the centerboard slot involved much CNC work (that is to say cut and curse) as Ipe is not an easy wood to work with. Styrofoam blank for the lead part will also have to be fashioned. As the day of paint gets nearer I decided to go over my home made HVLP turbine. It would be nice to go with the new generation blower but those are a couple hundred -money which may come in handy elsewhere  I decided. My Fuji sprayer is really getting on but as Tennyson said :Old age hath yet his honour and his toil. If the blower holds out the boat will get sprayed. He-who-must-be-obeyed (aka Graham) strongly suggested white as the top coat-to avoid danger of print through. Fair enough- but now I have to delicately break it to She-who-must-be-obeyed who had her heart set on colour- any colour. (Even the unmentionable yelller was mentioned! would you believe that Ken)PeterP 

post-1001-129497698667_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the keel stub is ready to go. It was a bit of a struggle but it turned out OK and I gained another sanding implement for my collection. The plan was to rough out the stub blank -fair it out glass it, then excavate the slot and clean that out as well. The slot ended up a ton of work. I read the plans as 2" slot where in fact Graham specs 2" board. Naturally, the slot wants to be a bit larger to accommodate the board and glass. So here I was with 2" slot that needed to be probably around 2 3/16". No problem I thought -I just sand it out. Question is how exactly do you sand inside a 2" crevice. So I made my largest sanding board ever. Solid oak 9"x 36" just under 2" thick with two strips of 24 grit floor refinishing paper stapled to it front & back. The scalloped feature is by T. Ermite & Co. and the whole thing weighs about 15 pounds. As Norm Abram would say: Measured "drarings" are available. Just about killed me to use the stupid thing. For sure I almost ripped my arms out of the shoulder sockets trying to move the monster up and down. When I finally got myself back together again I had to laugh at my own ignorance. And then I had an even better idea: use the Sawsall as a rasp. That finally did the job and how well! That done I turned my attention to making a plug for the lead shoe. Now is definitely the time to do it. My first attempt turned out a total flop. The plan was to glue up a styrofoam blank - shape it on top of the keel stub. Later I would use it to make a sand mold to cast the lead into. Well, I bought a sheet of 2" 4x8 styro, ripped it up, glued up the strips and then I tried to shape it. What a disaster. In general -the future maybe in plastics but styro will not be a major part of my future. I know that now. What a miserable stuff! Apart from wasting time and effort the back yard is now covered with zillions of tiny white balls. PeterP    

post-1001-129497698816_thumb.jpg

post-1001-129497698823_thumb.jpg

We had more movement this past week. I finally resolved in my minds eye the problem of casting the 1100# lead shoe. I made the mold out of Hardyplank board. This stuff is cheap, available and workable. So why not - and after working with IPE I felt I deserved a break and switching  to cement board seemed just the ticket. Seriously, though -this stuff is remarkably heat resistant. I put the MAPP torch to it for good 5 min. Got it to glow cherry red and yet the flip side stayed under 200 deg F ( did not boil spit ). The mold will nest in a box made out of 2x12 lumber with sand in between. I hate to call it foolproof because the Great Goddess Presumption - Mother of all Screw Ups has a nasty habit of catching me out making boastful statements & rubbing my nose in it afterwards. Let us just say that I am highly optimistic at this point. The Ipe keel stub is in place - epoxied and filleted. Tomorrow I'll build up the fillet and run 12oz tape. Hopefully we'll have some paint on the hull next week. PeterP

post-1001-129497699145_thumb.jpg

post-1001-129497699154_thumb.jpg

post-1001-129497699166_thumb.jpg

post-1001-129497699186_thumb.jpg

The hull looks really good Peter.

What will form the bottom of the mold?

I think there needs to be a decent seal between the Hardie Plank and the bottom.

Is the Hardie Plank stiff enough that you can pack the sand firmly against it without distortion before or after the pour?

Have a little extra lead heated up to take care of any leaks or distortion.

I think you will find shaping lead to be like carving soap compared to what you have been doing.

By my calculation you will need 60 to 70 Whisperlites.

May the Goddess be on your side.

Joe, The bottom of the mold will sit on 2x12x12'- bottom of a box formed out of 3 pieces of 2x12x12'. I may put a cement liner there too.There will be a 1x1 batten screwed around the perimeter of the cement board mold- forming a secondary/outside seal. The primary- inside seal will be a bead of Hi Temp wood stove gasket sealant from Lowe's. Tertiary seal will be the sand between the cement board and the 2by stock. The cement board  is pretty stiff by itself but of course the sand will do the bulk of the work. Numerous cleats screwed across the top etc. The heat source is still up in the air -wood and gas most likely. Thanks for suggesting the Whisperlites- I could talk to the local Scouts troop I guess.PeterP

When it comes to painting the boat I invariably ham haw until the procrastination turns my stomach. But in my own defense I should add that all that stalling has deep roots in experience. Not quite up there with sanding on my peeve list, nevertheless painting  is a job I learned to approach with much trepidation. Today was no exception. I ham haw because I know there are going to be pinholes. There will be bugs. I check everything dozen times because there will be places I missed sanding or filling. I stall to do one more fairing run and of course I know there will a Pink Panther moment or two during the spray. So guess what. Right on target. Got pinholes. Got unfilled glass matrix showing in couple of places. Got seven bugs. Got a blemish that needs to be faired out. And - when I was just about done - snagged the hose & lost balance trying to free it -grabbed a handful of paint on the way down and then to cap it all off hung a nice "curtain" on the damage area as I was trying to spray it all back to "pretty". But over all I feel good. I have not done any spraying in a while so this is a good refresher. Besides good part of this primer coat will get sanded and then I will do more primer and so on. Hopefully, by the time I get to the final top coat all my ducks will be in a row. PeterP        

post-1001-129497699592_thumb.jpg

post-1001-129497699598_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I always say we have some movement here and this time it is the literal truth as you can see in the accompanying pictures. The weather turned murderous hot and that was not that good for spraying paint. So to compound my normal nervousness about spraying boat paint I had to get up at 5 in the morning to beat the heat. So what I am working up to saying is that my paint job is not quite 100%. Got a few bugs, couple of places of slight orange peel and a few spots that will need a touch of the ol' buffer. I decided I can live with that as is and by the time the rub rail goes on boot stripe gets painted and the antifouling  goes up I may not even notice myself anymore. While the paint was still drying I went around and jacked up the jig&boat and slid some pieces of Sch 40 PVC pipe under it. This morning I took down the front part of the shelter hooked her up to the truck and out she came. Tomorrow the centerboard slot gets cut into the keel batten and the keel bolt holes get drilled all the way through. Then it's turn her over time. Wish me luck.PeterP

post-1001-129497702589_thumb.jpg

post-1001-129497702597_thumb.jpg

post-1001-129497702609_thumb.jpg