Plywood for Lapwing

John Turpin

Graham, Tom (or anyone else),

I'm about to make a run to pick up the plywood for my upcoming Lapwing build.  Unfortunately, the closest supplier that I can find is in Austin, 400 miles away.  I haven't received my plan set nor a materials list yet, so I don't really have access to those specifications.  Speaking with Richard about his build, he indicated that he bought twelve sheets of 1/4" ply and that seemed to be based on a loose estimate given to him of what he might need.

Can anyone give me a definative plywood requirement for the Lapwing?  I'd hate to drive that far, pick up twelve sheets of 1/4" Meranti, and then discover that I really needed thirteen.

Thanks!

John

John:

Have you priced freight to have that many sheets shipped to you?

Noahs is pricing 1088 Meranti at around $37 per sheet for 10 plus sheets. Plus freight.

Gas for 800 miles, meals and a night's lodging might run way more than shipping.

Just a thought.

BTW, I purchased the plywood for my Spindrift from Edensaw. Their website no longer shows marine ply. Anybody know if they still do?

Howard

Hi Howard,

The cheapest shipping that I've found is about $300, which would be half again as much as the plywood itself.  I'm planning a trip near Austin to help Carl stitch up his CS17 in the near future and, if I can combine these trips, then self-shipping looks very economical.  The problem comes if I under purchase.  Then, I would have to make a dedicated 300-mile trip to buy the additional sheet(s) that I'd need.  I'd like to prevent that.

It would be so much easier if the local Oklahoma lumberyards stocked marine ply.  And, I did have some very interesting conversations with them, trying to explain what it is.  :)

Thanks for adding your thoughts and perspective, Howard.

John

Hi John

If it is any help the 12 sheet Graham suggested seemed to be leaning in the conservative direction (more than enough).  I am not far enough alone to have a real sense of how much I would use.  My sense would be if you have 12 sheet - even if you needed a little more it would be less than a sheet and you would need it for bits and pieces where the quality of ply would be less important.  Just my thoughts.

I would order one extra sheet anyway... you will find something to build from it, if you don't use it on the Lapwing. I bought two extra sheets of 1/4" when building our CS20 and was very glad I did, as it covered for one cutting error and left me plenty of leftover (about 3/4 of a sheet) for building other things.

I talked to Noah's a couple of days ago and they quoted me $150 to ship the 15 sheets for a Core Sound 20 to Utah

Thanks for the lead, Joel.  I just checked with Noahs and they quoted me $265 to ship 12 sheets to me here in Oklahoma.  That's about $25 cheaper than other guys have quoted.  Hopefully I can pick it up and avoid any shipping charge.

• 3 months later...

Graham, Tom (or anyone else),

I'm about to make a run to pick up the plywood for my upcoming Lapwing build.  Unfortunately, the closest supplier that I can find is in Austin, 400 miles away.  I haven't received my plan set nor a materials list yet, so I don't really have access to those specifications.   Speaking with Richard about his build, he indicated that he bought twelve sheets of 1/4" ply and that seemed to be based on a loose estimate given to him of what he might need.

Can anyone give me a definative plywood requirement for the Lapwing?  I'd hate to drive that far, pick up twelve sheets of 1/4" Meranti, and then discover that I really needed thirteen.

Thanks!

John

Where in the plans is the list of materials? 

Thanks,  Corky Scott

Corky, to the best of my knowledge, a Lapwing materials list has not yet been developed.  I expect that, once another Lapwing or two has been completed, that list will be fleshed out.  If you have some specific materials questions, post them here and between Graham, Tom, Richard and I, we might be able to answer them.

John

Sorry that I can't be of any help here guys.  I used from my stock which contains several partial sheets from other jobs and I did not keep any kind of accurate track.  The stuff doesn't get any cheaper and I guarantee most builders will be building another boat of some kind.  Get extra if you have storage space and build the kids a pram.