why not the Belhaven?

Tim

Its a question I have wondered about a few times. The Belhaven Design does not seem to be so popular.  Maybe many have been built but they are not so public about it, but the only one I've heard of is Scott's.  With so may CS being built why don't we see more Belhavens?  I love my Cs-17 but the belhaven is on my list to build.  Is it because the the CS 20 with a cabin has replaced the need for this design? 

I see a couple advantages of the Belhaven over the CS 20 with a cabin.  First there is safety. I like that Graham really thought about safety in this design. I don't see the Belhaven going turtle very easily.  The extra width has to give a little extra room too I see you can get a kitchen sink in there. I probably would not do this and mainly use it instead of a tent.  The other thing is it looks better than the Cs20 with a lid in my opinion. Maybe not as traditional looking as the Princess Sharpie or even the weekender.  But much easier to build than the Princess Sharpie and a much bigger boat than the weekender.

What I think are drawbacks are the 7ft beam not sure if towing something that wide is any problem.  The ballast, what are the options here how much lead is required?  It looks like there is alot of freeboard also compared with the CS.  I guess that is part of the safety in this design and required to have the head room and self draining cockpit.

Any other thoughts on the Pros and Cons of this design?

What I think are drawbacks are the 7ft beam not sure if towing something that wide is any problem. 

Towing wouldn't be a problem.  My Potter has a 7' 6" beam, and it can be towed in any state in the US.  I think you run into a problem only after 8' in beam (perhaps its after 8' 6"). 

I'm pretty sure some day I'll be sailing a Belhaven.  Either my Core Sound project is a warmup for the Belhaven, or it's going to prove to me I need to talk to Ray about a build.  ;D

Given some of the recent Texas 200 chatter I'm interested in stability.  The Belhaven is self-righting to 80 degrees.  I believe it would take conditions beyond what I would have sails up in to knock her down, but, just playing the idiotic what-if game, what would a Belhaven be like with her mastheads in the water?

Just curious, I'm already convinced the design is seaworthy and the designer is certainly diligent.  I also suspect the 80 degree calculation is without any wishful thinking and probably a harsh assessment.

Your money regardless, but it could be someone elses time.

Unless . . . Carl builds a Belhaven and then just gives it to me.  I know Carl to be a generous, giving person.  I guess it could happen.  The time part is valid, of course, but I think with some pressure, I could get him to hurry it along some.

See.  This doesn't have to be complicated.  ;)

John, you got it.  One Belhaven, coming right up.  I mislaid the plans, but I can remember them well enough to get close.

What's your priority, gleaming exterior or showcase interior?  I need to know, 'cause that will tell me whether the 'C' or the'D' side of the plywood should go to the outside.    :o

Just let me know, I've got the plywood and a sawzall if you've got the beer.

Breaking into song, joyful in the process of artistic creation, edited for 'G' rating,

Oh, the Antelope sloop was a sickening sight,

How I wish I were in Sherbrook now,

She'd a list to port and her sails in rags,

And the cook in the scuppers with the staggers and jags,

Gosh darn them all...

;D

John, you got it.  One Belhaven, coming right up.  I mislaid the plans, but I can remember them well enough to get close.

What's your priority, gleaming exterior or showcase interior?  I need to know, 'cause that will tell me whether the 'C' or the'D' side of the plywood should go to the outside.    :o

Just let me know, I've got the plywood and a sawzall if you've got the beer.

Breaking into song, joyful in the process of artistic creation, edited for 'G' rating,

Oh, the Antelope sloop was a sickening sight,

How I wish I were in Sherbrook now,

She'd a list to port and her sails in rags,

And the cook in the scuppers with the staggers and jags,

Gosh darn them all...

;D

I found your plans. I think the instructions calls for B.S. CDX plywood.

DSC06112.jpg

John,

Print that photo and paste it onto the plywood.  Cut the parts, glue them together and share pics of the launch - Don't forget to add a centerboard :)

Oyster,

That doesn't look like CDX.  Are you cheating with that 1088 stuff?

John,

Print that photo and paste it onto the plywood.  Cut the parts, glue them together and share pics of the launch - Don't forget to add a centerboard :)

Oyster,

That doesn't look like CDX.  Are you cheating with that 1088 stuff?

Actually the plans do look like they are center on the board. As far as the material and this conversation, it was B.S. long before I got here. ;D