Texas 200

brigait1

I just returned from the Texas 200 along the "Redneck Riviera" sailing on Tim Rinkevich's Core Sound 17. Had a great time with some serious winds. Most days started around 10kts, but by the afternoon had built to the 20s.  The boat handled it all beautifully and we never had any handling issues. This video is from day two as we entered the Upper Laguna Madre and were shadowed by a large group of porpoises for several miles. We were going about 9kts at the time.

more info and trip reports at Texas200.com

and

http://wikiproa.pbworks.com/2009%20Texas%20200%20blog

Pete B

Thanks for the video!  I've been champing at the bit waiting for news of the Texas 200.  It looked as if there would be at least three CS17s and one Princess 22 from the website list of who planned to come.  Can't wait to hear how they did.  If the winds on the coast were anything like the winds here in central Texas this past week, it must have been breezy indeed!

I plan to do everything possible to get to the 2010 event (hope they will continue to have it) in a new Lapwing. 

There were three CS 17s. It was an interesting study in reefing. The other two boats has sail tracks and reef points. The boat I was on had sleeve sails and the option to reef using the middle mast step. On the day with the most wind we reefed with the mizzen in the middle mast step and were about the same speed as the other boats with both sails reefed down. Of course we had to pull over on a beach to do it and were caught by the bulk of the fleet that we had pretty much blown away up to that point. We also had an interesting encounter with a cargo ship-induced tsunami while on the beach. It was an exciting ten minutes while we rode out a series of waves coming at us from multiple directions. At some point I will write up a full trip report with a more detailed account and pictures. I will post a link here when I do.

PeteB

Yes it was breezy- VERY breezy at times. On average the winds were stronger than last years event

48 boats left Port Mansfield, 32 boats arrived at Magnolia Beach, 29 made all the scheduled stops. Capsizes included a SeaPearl 21, a Potter 15 and a San Juan 21, plus a few other smaller boats. Many broken things, like rudders, sprits, etc.

Laura and I actually did an extra day- we launched in Port Isabel on Saturday and sailed to Port Mansfield for the start on Monday ( Sunday was truck/trailer shuttle day). We did that because that sail- those 36 miles- were the ONLY portions of the entire ICW I had not sailed, from Mile zero in Norfolk , Virginia, to the tip of Texas- so I finished that this trip ;) Not a circumnav to be sure, but a small accomplishment none the less.

The Core Sound 17s are fantastic boats. Two made it to the finish, including one I built a few years ago. The one who didn't dropped out after the third day because the rudder had broken, had been screwed in the down position to finish the second day and the skipper was very leery of sailing the next leg due to narrow cuts and very shoal water, with a non-kick up rudder- a wise choice.

The Princess 22, as usual, simply marched through the fleet, on whatever day it was. Pilgrim was towards the very front on arrival on each and every day. That boat stands up like a church and just GOES. I'm quite proud to have been her builder.

And Graham is to be complimented on some great designs.

Our little 'sharpie converted to a trimaran', performed flawlessly, although VERY wetly. She is a fast boat, but NOT a dry boat. We sailed under either reefed sails, or just a reefed (as Graham calls it ) front-s'l most of the trip, and were first to arrive on two days, and never lower than 5th for any of the legs. We saw 13.2 on the boat on one day, surfing down waves in Corpus Christi Bay. Sailed at 8-9-10 for many hours too.

One of the great stories of the event were the PD Racers. We had 5 sailing this year and they were the heroes of the sail. Rescuing two of the capsized boats, spending hours bailing one of them, PLUS when a small Cartopper capsized and lost his whole rig, these guys scrounged around in those 8 foot boats, came up with materials and BUILT HIM A WHOLE NEW RIG!!! :o Right there on the beach- wasn't really pretty, but the guy finished the sail using it. Fantastic!!

You can see many pics at Texas200.com by the way

PLUS when a small Cartopper capsized and lost his whole rig, these guys scrounged around in those 8 foot boats, came up with materials and BUILT HIM A WHOLE NEW RIG!!! :o

As it turns out, the mast on that Cartopper was the mast that I built several years ago on the Two Paw 8 project that I documented here.  Mike bought my Two Paw and scrounged the mast for his Cartopper project.  So, my Two Paw's mast is now on the bottom of Corpus Christi Bay.  Small world, huh?

Thanks Pete and Charlie,

I really missed doing the T200 this year but not the drive.

It is good to hear the stories and watch the videos, it brings back lots of memories.

Carla thinks that I should fly down next year and bum a ride on one of the boats. Travis do you have room? It would be nice to go first class.

• 5 weeks later...

Graham,

If you make it down next year come with me early on in the event so you can fix all the things I screwed up!

Actually it was a bad batch of epoxy that did me in, but Charlie and I fixed my main mast step on the second day. The boat did great in high swells and we had a great time despite pulling out a day early. It was nice to see 2 CS17's side by side at my dock in Rockport. Pete and I discussed a CS17 regatta on Copano bay sometime in the near future, I would like to finish the TX200 before I worry about a regatta.

My crew member was very impressed with the way the boat handled itself under the adverse conditions.

Anyway, If you and Charlie are both at the tx 200  next year my chances of finishing go up exponentially.

-Marty

ps-Pete when are you coming back down to the coast.