Info on the Bay River Skiff 15 please

mysticman44

I ordered the plans for this boat today. I thought about the CS models but we don't have much in the way of "blue water" in the desert so the BRS got the nod. Anyone who has ever built one or sailed one please chip in and give me a clue what I'm in for as far as performance and sailing ability. Detailed info would be nice. Stories on your adventures? This will be my first sailboat and I am a bit nervous about learning. Any advice/tips to the first time sailor would be great!

I like your dog.  I am building the BRS 17' and have been documenting it on a blog: http://brs-pelican.blogspot.com/.  So far it's gone together pretty easily.  I obviously have not sailed it yet, so I can't tell you anything about that.  You'll find this forum very helpful when you start building.  Good luck!

I built a BRS 15 a few years ago.  I had a 16 glass sloop that was getting a little difficult for me to  trailer sail and rig myself.  The boat was a little bit more than I could handle in more than 15mph wind.

The BRS 15 is much easier to rig even with two masts.  The boat sails well and performance is fine.  I made my own sails from polytarp so my performance may not be the best. I made a few changes to the rigging from the plans, but use double ended sheets. I use a bungee centerboard downhaul.  The boat gets a little wet with a chop .

I sail in a 1600 acre lake, a lot of power boats create a lot of chop.

I am very happy with my BRS 15  I can rig it easily and trailer sailing is not a problem.  The boat was easy to build.  I had built a kayak and several small dingys prior to the BRS 15.

You will like the boat it is easy and foun to sail.  I am in my late 60s and a little overweight.

Tom D.

Got the plans today. Yep, it's not the boat for me. :-\ I guess for what we have available for sailing waters around here this boat is overkill. I am going to fall back to plan B and build the Goat Island skiff. It's not near as capable as the BRS 15, but it is able to sail, row and use a small outboard. Plus it would be easier and cheaper for me to build. Thanks for the info fellas.