Princess Sharpie 26?

• 2 months later...

Scott, I have wondering the same thing. I bet Graham has too.

Today I took a look at a RV garage made to cover a 40 foot class A. It was made from steel. It would also make a great place to build boats in, such as the PS26. My wife and I have been actively shopping for property closer to her work and which has the space and buildings for boat building and my wood working shop. We have found some promising properties and hope to settle on something by the end of this year. Once that hurdle is crossed, then both the storage of our RV, the six current boats, and a place for my business and boat building is solved. I may not build the PS26, but it is still knocking around in the back of my mind. Every now and then I get the plan set out.  The next project after the Spindrift that is wrapping up soon, will be to build two Diva's, one for Sam, and one for Ben.

Hmmm...  I wonder what it is about the 26 that it hasn't engendered much attention.  Ray wrote up a good discussion about why he went (or was going to go) with the P22, but IIRC it had to do with not wanting to get a bigger tow vehicle.  (That's not an issue for me.) 

I'm thinking I'll build a two car garage with one bay extra long (32') for the boat. 

26' just sounds right.  It's hard for me to imagine the 3 dimensional space of the cabin though, so I'm hoping somebody can post pictures...

Six boats, Greg, with 3 more on the way?  I'll show my wife this post and say "See, honey.  We've only got two.  We NEED a couple more..."  It's hard keeping up with the Lucketts.

If your vehicle is up to it, I've always found big trailers to be a LOT easier to handle and maeuver than little ones.  If nothing else, you get a second's more warning before they jacknife.  Especially with an RV, and its limited rear visibility, that'd seem to help.

Good point.

I wonder what the maximum legal length for this sort of rig happens to be?

I have never set up a boat on a trailer where the end of the trailer extend past the boat.  So by and large I just add 3 ffeet ot boat length to determine boat trailer length.

Ray, I cannot recall ever seeing this except maybe when a smaller boat is loaded on a bigger trailer. On my Laguna Balboa 24, about 6 ft of the boat was aft the trailer bunks, with most of the weight centered on the tandom axles, and a slight amount on the coupler. That trailer had about 4 ft in front of the boat to the trailer's coupler, and also had an extesion that added 8 ft. It made launching and retrieving a lot easier.

If the PS26 is right at 26 ft, then the trailer should be about 20ft, which would make a length of about 29 to 30 ft overall, not counting possible tongue extenders. I am unclear about that swing away coupler you mentioned. Any pics or a link?

To say that a boat should be loaded on a trailer with such and such hanging over or tongues need to be a certain length to insure proper loading is just not the case. I don't think that anyone has ever adjusted a boat on a trailer in the same manner ever. There are more depends than opinions in the area of loading since no two trailers are the same as with boats. Finding the proper balance needs to be done on site and changes almost like the wind.

To say that a boat should be loaded on a trailer with such and such hanging over or tongues need to be a certain length to insure proper loading is just not the case. I don't think that anyone has ever adjusted a boat on a trailer in the same manner ever. There are more depends than opinions in the area of loading since no two trailers are the same as with boats. Finding the proper balance needs to be done on site and changes almost like the wind.

Basically I don'rt dissagreee with you Oyster,  However I have never seen a set up where the trailer extends further aft than the boat.

Have you?

One certainly needs to adjjust the axle to balance the boat properly too.

And as a general rule of thumb I would suspect that by and large 3 feet of toungue beyond the bow is not too far off.    Iff the tongue was much longer than this I would probably cut off the excess and move the coupler back myself unless there was a significant extenuating circumstance where I would want a much longer tongue.

The swing away coupler is the Fulton that was mentioned.

Well size matters in the area of boat trailers for loading. take two identical boats on two different trailers and yes its quite possible to have one not hang over and one with the boat in some cases hang over five to six feet.  I had the issue with Popsicle and loading on my runabout trailer worked just fine. I also have a trailer that has its running gear fixed mounted all the way aft and built for outboard boats. With the motor and also depending on the size of the motor for anyone else the boat rests great and the tongue weight is more than proper. If you place a sailboat on it that is the same length of the runabout thats on it, you cannot lift the nose of it without the sailboat riding middle of the way aft. This is what I am saying. I have another one with adjustable running gear which is a rare commodity. With the running gear placed foward to ease the tongue weight, it backs like crap but will not work for an outboard boat. As has been noted numerous times, its very hard to buy a small shallow draft sailboat that does not break the bank. A person has to custom make any existing trailer to work to each and every sailboat in this case. With the Princess and the balast loaded way foward, some knowledge before purchase can for sure help when looking around and making choices. Later today I will post exactly what I am talking about in photos as an example.

These are shots that shows a trailer that is both highway acceptable and suited to carry the load for the boat's size. These boats are shallow draft which allows people to keep the boat loaded low unlike most fixed keel hulls. But also this trailer is case in point that shows that if you load a runabout to this trailer without changing the location of the running gear, your tongue weight will be less than perfect for your own safety when towing. Many trailers being sold these days cater more to the powerboat market because of the sheer numbers of these types of trailable boats.   The problem is finding trailers that do allow for the running gear to be relocated especially in the aluminum ones. The wheels will be further aft to almost the end of the frames, just enough for the springs to rest on the frames.

You will also notice the balast foward on the 22, but not sure of the arrangment of the 26. But still the mass weight will not be in the aft section and loading and adjusting is surely needed for almost any trailer capable of carrying the boats. even with the CS 17 and CS 20, the overall weight does allow a person to use a smaller trailer. But the downside is that the running gear of smaller trailers are not always tailored to safety on the open interstates in many cases.

100_2449.jpg

100_2450.jpg

100_2452.jpg

Basically I don'rt dissagreee with you Oyster,  However I have never seen a set up where the trailer extends further aft than the boat.

Just a bit puzzled, Ray, as it was you that brought this up. Since you have not seen it, nor have I, and no one else but you mentioned it, I must be missing your point somehow? :-?

In the pics Oyster posted of the Princess 21 on the trailer it appears that the trailer is identical to the one my CS17 currently lives on (same make and model).  The adjustable axle position is an absolute must have, in my opinion.  That's what allows the two very different boats to sit properly on the same model of trailer.

This is more of a question than observation.....but on the boat and trailer Oyster has in the photograph, and knowing there is, or may be and engine mounted in the engine well, would it not be a good idea to have some bunk......with a brace, directly under the bulkhead the engine is mounted on? Potentially, an engine is a lot of weight banging up and down back there.....unless you remove it for transport.

On most boat's I've seen of this type, a long board or keel support is fixed under the keel for the weight of the keel ballast to ride on, and bunks support some load, but more or less keep the boat upright. The trailer for my existing boat has one keel roller. It should have two or three minimum.

It's been my observation on sailboats, that somewhere along the line, you give up bunks in favor of pads on pipes that slide up and down to be fitted.

And depending on the launch site, you either have to winch the boat on, or float it over the trailer and it settles on the trailer as you pull forward. If you are going to float the boat on and off, you have to be able to back the trailer in far enough to do that. On the big boats we deal with (30 foot keel boats) they have a really long tongue extension they have to use, and it's a real rodeo to launch and retrieve.