CS17 #260

ecgossett

Just received my CS17 plans in the mail today with hull number 260. The only issues so far is a missing CD which is being sent and a couple of plans I'm not sure about that look like duplicates but have different dates, more about this later.

I contacted Qualityplywoodspec.com with whom a friend has an account and the prices for Okoume 1088 are 39.35 1/4"  & 60.00 3/8 sheet. They seem to have good prices... You need to setup a wholesale account with a business license to go this route, taxes and the whole nine yards. Oh wait I already have a business set up with all the paperwork.

I am considering Hydrocore Marine Plywood 1088 for the bottom as we have nasty river sides out here with shells galore.

Another prospective builder nearby here is looking at the CS20, so hopefully he will want to help with mine before he starts his!

Later, Edward

[tt]PS My previous thread on the boat was http://www.messing-about.com/forums/index.php?topic=6645.0[/tt]

This plan package is pretty impressive! I was so impressed that all the regular sized sheets are now in page protectors in a notebook. Not quite sure how to keep the blueprints safe from damage... Do no want to fold them up and get a crease down the middle.

[table][tr][td]Included is:

• Privacy Police
  • Owners Cert (hull number/copyright)
  • General Construction Guide
  • Sales Receipt
  • CS17 Materials List
  • CS17 Hardware List
  • Materials Source Directory (2 copies one tan and one hot pink,
    not sure about difference)
  • B&B Price List for materials obtained from them

So far it's 29 pages of stuff.

Count it, that right 17 sheets of high quality plans with excellent

description on each.. Two where repeated and only had different dates and

small difference on a hatch on the left side I think. Can anyone explain the

differences better?

[/td][td]The Plans

• Outboard Profile
  • Hull Cutout Sheet
  • Pattern Sheet
  • Hull Panel Instructions
  • Hull Assembly
  • Keel & Construction Details
  • Hull Construction Plan
  • Centerboard Trunk & Aft Mast Step Construction
  • Centerboard & Trunk
  • Open Cockpit Con
  • Aft Deck Construction Plan (updated 4-21-08)
  • Aft Deck Construction Plan (updated 3-21-08)
  • Cockpit hatch & drainage channel
  • Rudder
  • Spar plan for sail track
  • Mast and sail plan
  • Rigging sleeve and track luff

[/td][/tr][/table]

I got Occume 1/4 BS 1088 from McEwen in Charleston, SC for $50.00 a sheet, through my local lumber yard.  The price I got today was $43.00.  You've got me nervous now.  I didn't see any voids in it when I used it before.  Seemed like good stuff.  I found this on their website though:

"Okoume is pink in color on the face and back. Face veneers are usually Rotary Cut, Whole Piece Face. The core is a Chinese Poplar that typically has more layers than other imports. For instance, an 18mm panel will have 13 plys versus a 7 or 9 ply product from other countries. Having a Poplar core makes this product less stable than a tropical hardwood core. Okoume is available with Moisture Resistant glue or Marine glue. Okoume is most commonly used in the construction of the cabinet boxes. Okoume is a good substitute for Meranti, Virola, or Faveria plywood. Cost of Okoume makes this product more attractive than other import plywood. " 

"Chinese Poplar?"  I did a google search and came accross a post from Tom Lathrop recommending McEwen a few years ago.  Maybe he'll chime in.

Anyone else have experience with McEwen or think $40-$50 a sheet is a red flag?

Graham gets plywood from McEwen and that is why I recommended them and they have warehoused in sever l cities.  I believe it is from World Panel and not having a business license for McEwen, I get mine from World Panel. 

Plywood sources are a moving target.  Unless you buy from a source that you know is getting BS1088 Shelman, Joubert, Brunzeel or a couple more, you need to be careful and check the quality.  Check each panel for defects anyway.  Many worry about small voids in the inner core but I think delamination of plies is a much more serious problem.  I don't consider small voids a big problem.  The wood is full of small voids anyway.  They are called resin canals or some other technical name.  That is why sealing the edge end grain of all timber and plywood is so important.

Edited to add that multi-thin plies can be a good thing as in Baltic Birch or aircraft plywood.  Since plane builders (and the FAA) would not tolerate anything other than top quality, that is good stuff.  On the other hand I have gotten some Asian plywood with high count plies in birch lately that is crap.  It warps, even in 3/4" thickness and the glue will not stand up to light dew.  Talk seriously to your supplier to see if they know what they are selling. 

On the plans I cannot find any dimensions for a cradle support(s) or trailer... Any thoughts?

I'm looking at the first two steps:

1) Hull cut out and assembly

2) Make and install inwale

I'm not finding inwale on planes... I must be looking in the wrong place? I find it referenced a lot in the forums.

mobile with all-terrain tires

I'd never thought of the need to go off road :P

Having said that the ability to move the build was to me very valuable as I had a crampped space in which to build it. I think the casters which allowed the front end to move sideways and thus with a bit of backward and forward motion to reposition it anywhere was easy and helpful. If you have a huge shop it probably doesn't matter too much, but the ability to move it into the open helped with setting the masts/alignment (and I expect with testing sail set which should be in a few weeks for me).

Peter HK

When you build your cradle, make it to the specs in the plans for when setting the mast angle. (I think the bow should be 10" higher than the stern at the corner, but check it, I'm using my unreliable memory). It will save you the hassle of blocking it up later, as I had to!

Good Luck, you're going to have a great time!

I was over at the St. Marys Boat Yard today and saw someone cutting some plywood for a bulkhead. I went and inquired as to what it was and found it is the same Okoume I need. After further inquiries I was shown a receipt and it the same warehouse I'm getting mine. The wood is beautiful, however this person paid more then I'm going to using wholesale.

After some independent verification (3rd party who builds boats) today, I found the wood prices are right for actual wholesale.

V/R Edward

"Chinese Poplar?"  I did a google search and came accross a post from Tom Lathrop recommending McEwen a few years ago.  Maybe he'll chime in.

Anyone else have experience with McEwen or think $40-$50 a sheet is a red flag?

"Chinese Poplar" is probably Pawlonia, or what the Ozzies call Kiri. Very light (2x balsa density), not bad strength/density. One of the fastest-growing trees around, mostly plantation-grown.

Manufacturing quality is probably the most important factor, and if Chinese, is probably suspect, at least for marine applications. Buy a sheet, chop to small pieces, inspect and boil test vigorously. A sheet I had here had a bit of a curling (potato chip) problem, but that was probably exacerbated by the extremely low humidity we get at times around here (Colorado). Wasn't 1088.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up my wood in Sanford Fl, 2.5 hrs away... $15 for a U-Haul trailer to tow behind my Corolla, $40 in gas, and $6.79 for dinner at Steak & Shake.. Overall I saved $145 on shipping costs.  I also found a 2"x11'x6" piece of mahogany for $30 to cut strips from for the boat. Quality Plywood Spec is a great place for wood and had a very high quality selection with professional staff that could not understand why I would drive a distance to pick out my wood.

I included a photo of the okoume to show the quality.

post-1729-129497682533_thumb.gif