Open or Decked Stern

Guest Brent Sparks CS20 #31

Guest Brent Sparks CS20 #31

A quick survey: when building your boats did you build a decked stern area or did leave the stern uncovered, and why?

As I make a decision for #31 I am considering sea keeping ability, storage space, access to a motor, weight distribution, and appearance.

I am leaning towards the decked stern, but trying to work out the details for how I might mount the motor.

bljcatsparks@earthlink.net

Guest Joe Nelson Oregon CS20 #3

I was originally going to build the un-decked version. But I really like the cockpit lines with the curved corners. I also like the curved/raised shape that follows the lines of the foredeck. I too want a motor. I am going to beef up the transom on one side for a bracket to hang the motor off the transom. In fishing magazines you can find rock guards for motors that have a ring that bolts to your motor, around the propeller. Then you could use your rudder for steerage without fear of having it nicked by the propeller. You can leave the motor in a straight forward orientation and avoid a tiller extender on the outboard.

Joe

joe_nelson22@hotmail.com