Contemplating selling my Weekender

capt jake

Yup, those of you who know me know just how much time and effort I have put into this boat.  I haven't totally committed to selling, but if you are in the Settle area and want to take a look, I might just release my grasp on her.  Always garaged, but as life changes ,I find that I need to space in the garage once again.

• 3 weeks later...

Bitter sweet, but it is committed to go with Barry adn his significant other. :)  My stomach dropped last night when I went out to the shop to look at something and saw the boat.  At least it is going to somebody who know her and will treat her well.  I hope to have the first bid if she ever comes back on the market. :)

I have an understanding with anyone I build a boat for. If for whatever reason they need to get out from under it, I get first bid. I've only gotten 2 back in this fashion, but one runabout I built 20 years ago, has recently been reacquired. The hull's still sound, but his leaking barn roof has made a mess of it's deck. I'll fix it, install a new engine, controls, etc. and sell it again. In this regard I'm looking for a good long or short shaft 20 to 30 HP outboard, 2 or 4 stroke. I would prefer a 2 stroke for the weight, but would pay the bucks for the right 4 stroke.

So, have faith Jake, you may just find you're back in the old gal some years from now.

Jake,  Sure didn't see that coming! I'm guessing Barry will grant you visitation rights.

So, have faith Jake, you may just find you're back in the old gal some years from now.

Here is an intresting story from Duckworks along those lines

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/09/columns/guest/einhorn/index.htm

Jake,  Sure didn't see that coming! I'm guessing Barry will grant you visitation rights.

I guess I didn't see it coming either.  A lot has changed for me in the past 4-8 months.  I hope we can all get together for another sail this summer; like we did last year.

Yes, it will have a good home and it would be difficult to understand just how fine this particular Weekender is to those that have not sailed on Capt. Jake's extraordinary "Fire Escape" or seen it in person.  This is without a doubt the finest of the many that I have seen and sailed on and the craftsmanship and finish work are truly of the highest quality.  It handles far better than any of the others that I have had the honor to share with their owners.  It is well balanced with little weather helm.  It has no handling issues at any point of sail for a boat of this type.  The larger cockpit is a blessing for me with my long legs on full day sails and sailing with Capt. Jake has been one of the most enjoyable things I have done in years. 

It is no wonder that he has won so many awards with it in the shows he has entered.  It attracts considerable attention where ever it goes.  With a loose footed main designed for this boat and a lapper you couldn't ask for better performance in light to moderately heavy weather.  It is solid, easily controlled and has no problem tacking in even the lightest air.

I have seen it easily catch upto larger "faster" boats on a broad reach and leave them watching it go by with their mouths just hanging open. 

He is certainly welcome to come sailing with us and as I get closer to completing my own it will be interesting to see if I can attain the same balance and performance he was able to get.  And yes, he will certainly have first right to repurchase if it is going to go on the market.  But for now it is going to get some good use this summer on Lake Washington.  Its new owner is positively delighted that he would entrust her with the safe keeping of this fine Weekender.  Hard to describe how excited she is about acquiring her.  Photos will be posted when she gets on the water.

Joel,

Yes, I am without question going to finish Spiritwind!  The only question is when.  Life has a way of getting in the way of what we would really like to be doing.  That plus weather.  If this year is a duplicate of last year, we may have had our good work days until mid summer.

I'm in the process of getting the rigging installed right now.  The plan is to have Spiritwind in the water this summer.  Sailing! ::)