CS 17?

Felipe

Felipe,

In light air I like to foot off and I can't point to 90 degrees but in a decent breeze I can get around 90. The battened roached sails will point higher.

Our standard sails with battens if you count the roach has 138 sq. ft. I probably had another 10- 15 sq. ft. on Green Heron.

I have had Green Heron out in the conditions that you describe but I used the reefs and never felt anxious.

I have had both deck layouts and I liked them both. The aft deck has more stowage and looks shippy. The open stern layout gives you easier access to the stern. I have never noticed any difference in seaworthyness between the two layouts.

I like to have the ability to sleep aboard. There are lots of places where you can't sleep ashore not to mention unwanted guests, two legged or more.

There have been at least two CS17 plans sent to Brazil, Ricado built one and posted here.

Felipe,

I agree with you, sailing this thing in nasty water sounds scary... I sail a flying scot in Jax, FL up the river in some nasty wind and conditions but nothing like we get here in St. Marys GA right on the border with a coastal/tidal river where in our Cumberland Sound nasty waves build up with wind from almost any direction.

I was terrified (so where the owners with experience), one day in a Hunter 22 with the beating and rolling we where taking... This included reefed main and keel down, but in 22 knots the waves and wind kept rolling us on the side.

Does anyone have input if the CS17 handles better then this boat? I'm not sure the open cockpit flying scot is a boat that would work here either.