Everglades Challenge 2009

Tom Lathrop

Graham and Randy start the 2009 Everglades Challenge at Ft Desoto (Mullet Key) near St Petersburg, FL this Saturday morning at 7AM, rain or shine, wind or not.

Graham and Randy are carrying a GPS transmitter that periodically sends their position in the race.  I copied and pasted this from last year and it should work.  At least it verified this morning that Southern Skimmer was at Graham's boat shop.

Here is the link to the website.  I found it a little clunky to navigate but then I'm a bit clunky on the computer. 

http://www.watertribe.com/Default.aspx?Expand=7&ucPtr=Everglades/EvergladesTeaser.ascx

Go to http://66.46.215.163/gwvas/home

Click on

Hi Tom

When I click on the link to Globalwave I can not see 'Asset Management System'  - any hints where I should be looking.

Also you will be interested to know I just received my Lapwing plans (Hull 4) in the mail yesterday.  I will post my progress once I get going (and hopefully don't try your and Graham's patience with too many questions).

I imagine Graham and Randy have already headed south.  I alway follow this event with interest.

Graham is a class act.  I sent a good luck email to him and got a personal reply back.

Once again, I shall be glued to my web browser for details this week.  There is nothing to compare to the EC for pure racing, in my opinion, because it is a personal test.  I doubt if there is much thought even among the top few of beating a competitor.  I think even the most driven competitors are there to perform well and win, not strictly to beat anyone else.

This is way, way more interesting than America's Cup racing.  Camaraderie and drive, what a combination!

Good luck and safe passage to all.

When I try to log onto the GWVAS site I get:

"Network error-A communication error occurred: "Operation timed out"

The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a later time.'

Maybe it is just a problem trying to get on from New Zealand

I am sure some one up there will post some 'progress reports' - Go Graham and Randy!!

I went to Ft. Desotto Park yesterday to see and talk with other B&B sailors and builders.

I have a BRS 15 and a Birder II.  I was a little disappointed in that Graham was the only one present with his EC22 Souther Skimmer. I talked with him and Randy about the boat and the race.  I was also supprised to see so many kayaks.  I talked with a lot of the contestants about their boats and experience in this race.  I got to talk with both SandyBottom and Kiwibird.  I talked with the owner/sailor of Mullet the smallest boat in the contest.  He has a modified BlueJay and is sailing solo.  I saw a lot of Sea Pearls and talked with the crews.

The giant sailing canoe with a 6 man crew was only a shorts distance from Mullet.  What a diversity of craft in this excursion.  I have never done any long distance sailing but have sailed small boats in Lake Michigan and Sunfish in Charlotte Harbor.

The fellowship at the beach was more impressive than the boats that I saw.

Tom D. 

At about 16:00 Southern Skimmer is moving well touching 6 knots at times. They're about even with Laurel and the Sea Pearl is barely visable to their rear. They can just barely carry the chute and are as closehauled as they can run with it. They may have to drop it at any time, but for now the weather is beautiful and if the wind would clock a bit everything would be wonderful. They have about 20 miles to get to the pass.

.... I only get info for the Southern Skimmer. ....?

Russ, try following the race at www.WaterTribe.com.  Zoom in on

http://www.watertribe.com/ChallengeViewer/ChallengeMapperContent.aspx

SandyBottom is tracked there.  She is also tracked here

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0ggfiiudDlSq9j1ZzAq9rT9xxqgdKzVja

and here

http://sandybottomkayaker.blogspot.com/

The 'official results' link on www.watertribe.com has them finishing at 3 days, 18 hours, 40 minutes.

Interesting, the race that sort of shaped up between Jarhead (singlehanded Sea Pearl) and Skimmer.  Jarhead was well ahead for the first 40 hours or so.  Ron Hoddinott's reports had him row-sailing a long time, attempting a nap near the Sanibel causeway, and pressing on.

Southern Skimmer appeared off Jarhead's stern somewhere between there and Checkpoint 2.

I think the winds picked up, and that made the difference.

Graham got to CP2 about 30 minutes ahead of Jarhead, and by CP3 had built up a 23 hour lead.

A little wind, I think for part of that time Graham was able to carry his spinaker, and that seems to have really perked up his pace!

I've only followed the EC from a distance but it sure seems like a wonderful event.  Lots of nice elements.  I particularly like the rules that say a team must not accept material support of any kind from the outside world, but may accept any help of any kind of fellow competitors.

If only the rest of the world ran with such spirit.

There are some great pictures and short videos at http://watertribe.com/ChallengeViewer/ChallengeViewerContent.aspx (the Challenge Viewer, reached from the home page if this pasted link doesn't work.

There is going to be a challenge around Cedar Island and Beaufort the last weekend in September for you Carolina folks.  Watch the WaterTribe site for details.  Paul Stewart's wife, Dawn, and several others are putting it together.  It would be great to see some B&B boats there.