EC 22

jawilco

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been enchanted by this design ever since watching its development two years ago. I have tried to steer myself in the direction of more sensible designs, boats that would be easier to build and perhaps a bit more forgiving to sail. The Belhaven or the Micro or there are dozens of others. I have not been able to make any of them stick. I always come back to the EC22. I will keep you posted.

Ken

I am very pleased to hear you have the plans. I could hardly think of anything better than to have a buddy working along on the same project. I have lots of questions and ideas that I would love to discuss. When do think you will be able to start?

Joe

The plans will find their way to me before long.  I told Graham and Carla not to hurry if they have other things to do because I won't be building soon.

I won't start until I find a space large enough to build it.  Months (years?) from now...

I wish we were building in parallel and could swap stories as we went along but maybe I'll be able to offer some non-expert input here and there.

I don't think building on molds is really more of a challenge than stitch-and-glue.  It just ends up creating more scrap and cost (or maybe the molds can be passed along after).  And by the end of the project I don't think the cost of the molds will be much of an issue.  It's such a small percentage of the overall cost.

However you build it, it's all one-step-at-a-time.

So the forecast was right for once and the wind was blowing nicely and the temp was 70(!) degrees this afternoon.  For some stupid reason I had decided yesterday that I wouldn't hook up the boat in the morning and leave work after lunch (If I don't take the boat with me I can't do the half-day sail).  After lunch I had co-worker after co-worker drop by to say things like "You're not sailing today?"  Aaaargh!

So after work I returned home to find the plans for EC22 #6 sitting on the doorstep  ;D

I took a quick look at them before attending to other obligations but now I'm free to go over the plans page by page.  Now there's a good Friday night!

These plans differ from the CS17 plans in that they include full-size patterns for the molds and some of the parts of the boat.  The various molds and such are printed in different colors so they're easy to tell apart.

Joe - I envy you so much.  If I had the space to build I'd be driving down to Vandemere tomorrow to buy some plywood.  Maybe I'll work on hatches and rudder and centerboard etc while I try to figure out how to make space to build this beautiful beast.  The porch isn't big enough and the lot here is too small to add a boat shed (temporary or permanent).  I guess I'll just have to move somewhere else.  ;D

• 4 months later...

The jig is up. I have the molds cut out and set up. I have materials on hand and am now cutting out the keel, inwales and,stringers.

I have started a blog at http://sundogboatbuilding.blogspot.com/  that I hope will chronicle the building of SKORPA.

I will post here with photos of progress from time to time and questions. Oh there are so many questions.

I asked Graham once if he thought a novice could build an EC22.

He said; "The skills that you bring to a project like this are not as important as your willingness to learn new skills as you proceed."

Hmmm.

post-0-129497639507_thumb.jpg

I have cut out the laminations for the stem out of douglas fir. I tried various thicknesses to find one that would take the bend without breaking.

Strips are just over 1/8 by 1 1/2.

When setting up dry they were a handful. I am wondering if there is any downside other than extra time and epoxy if I glue the stem up in two or even three goes. There are a total of 14 strips to laminate.

post-1216-129497682643_thumb.jpg

I think the only down side you will find is time.  If it makes it easier to keep or get all the pieces into alignment and properly clamped that would seem a small price to pay for the results.  I find that simply trying different things during the dry fit stage like you are already doing teaches me what I should do.  It is much easier to figure out before you glop it all up with epoxy.  And if you are finding it awkward with the pieces dry, you will find it even worse when wet and slippery.

There are many methods used by woodworkers but here is mine when doing a large stack of laminates like this.  Fit them dry as you have done.  Drill a hole in one end through all laminates and into the form. Make the hole a tight fit for a nail of, say 10 or 16d.  Take apart and slap on the epoxy.  Cover form with plastic.  Insert the nail through laminates on a flat surface.  Fit the end of the thing back on the form with the nail driven a bit into the form. Progressively wrap the laminates around the form, keeping the edges lined up and clamping as you go.

Oh yes, start at the end with the greatest curvature.  Wooden screw clamps protected with duck tape are good to keep the pieces lined up together.

Tom,

Thanks for the suggestions. I found them very helpful. Fortunately the shop was at 55F so I had plenty of open time. It was an armful getting the laminates all epoxied and clamped in place. The preparation and dry run made it manageable.

post-1216-129497682841_thumb.jpg

post-1216-129497682847_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have read explanations about how to shape the stem, but they all seem a little vague. I am looking for some assurance that I am on the right track and any tips that might make the job easier.

I have a batten clamped to the stringer to represent the 6mm ply sides. 

I plan to cut notches into the stem using the batten as a guide.

Maybe five notches an inch wide.

Connect all the notches and fair.

This should make a smooth surface that the plywood can land on.

Then I have to do something with the inwale, side stringer and temporary stringers.

I think the inwale and side stringer need to be let into the stem.

If I leave the forward end of the inwale and stringer square they will require too big of a notch into the stem, I am thinking about beveling them but leaving about a 1/4 inch of their forward end square.

I am not too concerned about the temporary stringers I can use a block to space them in the correct plane and fasten them to the jig.

Inwale is on the bottom, then side stringer and three temporary stringers.

post-1216-129497683107_thumb.jpg

post-1216-129497683114_thumb.jpg

post-1216-129497683121_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I am using colloidal silica that came double wrapped in plastic bags. Carefully opening and closing the bag results in a thin cloud of fumed silica drifting around the shop. When I was using silica from a plastic container I think there was less dust produced. Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to contain the silica and dispense it with a minimal amount going airborne?

???

• 1 month later...