Spindrift 11n in the uk

Captain Scarlet

Hello all i am pleased to say i have just received my plans for a Spindrift 11n,

And thought i would introduce myself.

while not yet ready to start building i thought i would start asking some questions.

If my dingy building is as good as my house cleaning it could take a very long time,according to my wife.

I have emailed Graham but would like to ask on here as well

1)scarfing the joint, is there a recomended distance back for 6mm ply

2)Is there anywhere that gives advice on how to do this ie, on here or internet in general

3)wife and 2 kids and a morgage rules out nice power tools,oh and the cost of quality marine ply ,didnt realise it was so expensive.

Anyway from what i have seen on this forum a good quality all round plane seems like a good idea to start with so i would like some recomendations ,for those of you with time on your hands look

here.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/pricing/INC/cid/IQR4RMI10INURKC5JXX1KMDZTCHLV28S/category-Planes-Spokeshaves-and-Scrapers-207024.htm

All advice no matter how small on how to start building will be welcomed

Regards

Captain Scarlet

I do it by hand.  I use a hand plane then a belt sander.  The 4 sheets pictured are 6mm and stagered 2 inches which yields an 8:1 ratio.  Note also a sacrificial piece on the bottom to keep from damaging the sharp edge of the bottom keeper during the work.

th.d00424fd9d.jpg

The layers in each sheet help you keep tabs on uniformity as you go.

th.146793a8c2.jpg

The final results after a little belt sanding:

th.259b0da3a1.jpg

I hope this helps, and good luck with your project.