Core Sound 15 -- The Decision and Some General Questions

Guest Dennis M

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Dennis M

Thanks, Charlie and Tom. It makes sense that the web would be filleted to the centerline of the hull and the top of the step would follow the contour of the bow sides where it can be filleted and taped to the hull. ~Dennis

Guest Dennis M

The center frames have been filleted and taped into place and the side stringers have been dry fitted. I have been having some difficulty with my wood splitting even after drilling appropriate sized hulls. I imagine that it is because of the way the grain runs in the wood, but I am not so sure. I have also fitted the stringers for the inboard edge of the seats. I'm not so sure how these are to be attached at the transom and fwd bulkhead. I have dry fitted temporary cleats on the fwd bulkhead and the transom and screwed the inboard seat stringers to these, but the arrangement looks awkward (which is probably exacerbated by the fact that I am working around a taped fillet), even though they will be hidden once the sides and tops are on. Any suggestions? Thanks. ~ Dennis

Guest Dennis M

Well, I've got the seat stringers all glued in, the foredeck pieces, including the king plank, cut and dry fit. I've fit and glued the clamps on the transom and fwd bulkhead for the inwale. If the weather holds, I might have the seats fitted, filleted and taped.

I have yet to conquer the mast step. I think that son-of-a-gun should have been glued in when I taped the c/l seam. So now I'm wondering if I should cut the tapes down the c/l, throw a heat gun on it, and press the thing down into the fillet when it is soft. Anyone have any advice on this? I'd appreciate it very much.

PS -- Ken Potts -- pics in the upcoming week.

Guest Dennis M

Serendipity happens, sometimes. I got the side seat panels cut and dry fit today. I was happy that the sides matched pretty well. I've got one side slightly higher than the other -- 1/4 - 5/16" or so. Ah, well. Perfection will have to wait until my next build -- or if I get Tom Lathrop to build one for me. ~ Dennis

Guest Dennis M

The first pic is of the notorious butterfly that would break on me shortly hereafter. I failed to back the seam with 2x2 blocks. The following pics speak for themselves, I think.

post-0-129497678118_thumb.jpg

post-0-129497678126_thumb.jpg

Wow!  Now that's a bunch of pictures!  Thanks for sharing them.  The boat looks great.

I'm guessing that the CS15 has a different centerboard trunk arrangement than the CS17 - How is the top of the trunk supported at the front?

Keep up the good work!

In the long run the cramped space has one nice effect on the builder.  The day you first roll the boat out of the garage you'll have a fresh stand-back-and-admire-it moment.

Guest Dennis M

Hi, Ken,

I could not explain that if I tried. The trunk extends ply "fingers" fwd from the trunk posts which provides support for the 3rd mast step and keeps the trunk in place. Graham might be able to answer this better.

Peter, that is too funny. I wish I would have seen your rolling jig affair, I'd have copied it and used it on mine.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

You are doing a great job.  It certainly helps that the designer is there 'on call'

I've looked at every 15' boat there is and I think the CS15 is finally 'it'

It needs to be compared with other 15' boats, not with the CS 17 or 20. 

I am still probably years off starting, realistically, but projects like yours and another in the 'studying the plans' stage near me keep the interest level up.

Keep the posts and especially the photos coming, they are appreciated.

Guest Dennis M

Hi, Steve,

Thanks for the kind words. I have been rushing this week to get some things done before the cold weather hits. We are expecting rain and snow mix on Sunday and Monday. I think that I am suffering from EFS (Epoxy Fillet Syndrome). Earlier this week I got the seat sides and tops measured and cut, along with the aft bulkhead, centerboard case and and the fiddly bits for the mast partners. So, taking advantage of of 50 and 60 degree weather, I have been working to get the fillets and tape on the side tanks. I thought that I would be able to finish in a few hours, but I only got the insides of the tanks done today (about 8 hours). Filleting is tedious work, to be sure and it uses up epoxy like the devil. Am I starting to sound whiney like Ray Frechette ??? ;D.

All in all, things go together quite quickly once you get started. I started building in late August and have accomplished much. So far, it looks like the plans. The craftsmanship is not as good as Jan N's or Tom Lathrop's, but I'm just a tyro who's more skilled at making sawdust than well fitted joints! Nevertheless, the boat will look good despite my best efforts to the contrary. I can't ask much more than that. ~Dennis