Vacationer Build

Salty_Dog

I think their website says they accept PAYPAL.

If you go to the PAYPAL site and register, you can send payment through them to Stevensons.

You have to give paypal a credit card number, but it is a secure site, and I have made many transactions with no worries whatsoever.

Good luck

Gregg

Hi again

I'm having difficulty ordering the plans from the Stevenson's.  Being non-tech savvy maybe I'm missing something?  How do I place an order with just a credit card?  Thanks!

They still have the notice that they have suspended the ordering process while the move their business at their home page:  http://www.stevproj.com/

I'm not sure that you can order plans right now.

I've ordered the plans so I guess I've got to just wait now...  :-\

I've only got a few basic tools.  Can anyone recommend any specific tools that will be useful in the build?  For instance I've got a cheap jigsaw but not a circular saw.  What about those all-in-one planer, table-saw etc machines?

I truly think my life would be over if I didn't have my table saw.  I haven't drawn a breath since I was 12 without having one at my disposal. However, if you want to spend some cash and get it all, I recommend a shopsmith all in one.  I have an antique one that I just overhauled, and though it takes a bit more time in set up, it does everything very well. 

Al Stead

A circular saw...good for straight in thick and thin materials and shallow curves in thin materials...the thinner the smaller the radius. I use this for almost all my 1/4" - 3/8" stuff. A cordless drill is a must... I use a cheap grinder and flap wheels to remove material quickly and a random orbit sander for the rest. The grinder needs a light touch and a bit of practice but it is a fantastic time saver. A table saw (or table top saw) is good for trim work and longer stuff but unless you have a big one that can support a whole sheet of ply it isn't practical for big pieces of ply. I have built more than 8 boats with just these tools...plus a plain $25 plane and a gazillion clamps, chip brushes, shop towels, yougurt cups or something similar, thin strips of scrap wood for mixers, plastic spoons and all the rest of the consumables.

Steve

I agree with Lewisboats. A good circular saw, a jig saw and some planes and chisels will let you build most anything. And LOTS AND LOTS of clamps ;D You CAN do it without the cordless drill, but I sure wouldn't want to do that ;)

I have a full woodshop because for years I refinished and rebuilt furniture, but for boats I could give most of the machines away EXCEPT for my bandsaw. THAT I would insist on keeping. In fact, I have two of them and one is set up right next to my workbench so I only need a step or two to get to it. I built a 35 foot trimaran using just a bandsaw as my only large tool. The rest was hand tool stuff.

Yup, I agree with both Steve and Charlie.  Heck, when I was a kid, I built my first dog hauler with just a saber saw and a screw driver.  The saber saw was the only power tool I had that I could use in the drive way.  For building outside of the shop a circular saw is a must.  One thing I have learned is to buy the best quality circular saw you can afford.  I went through three of the lesser ones building my house and they didn't cut very well either. 

I like Charlies fondness for hand tools.  My favorite show on PBS is the woodwright shop.  I think I have learned more from Roy than from Norm.  When I build bent shaft canoe paddles, it is almost all hand work after the glue up.  You might also want to look at a yankee driver along with the cordless drill.  They take a little more finesse to use but they don't run out of juice just when you need them most. 

Al Stead

...........Heck, when I was a kid, I built my first dog hauler with just a saber saw and a screw driver............ 

Al Stead

Bah, when I was a kid:  I walked 8 miles to school, in 3 feet of snow, up hill and against the wind in both directions.  ;)

I really, really wish you all would not use the four letter word for fluffy, frozen water.  It might jinx the weather, which has been scorching us with temperatures in the 70s and low 80s.  These Yankees are running their ACs non stop 24/7.  Being a Texan, I sit out in the midday sun to try and warm up.  Man, I almost worked up a sweat the other day! ;D ::)

It is supposed to be down in the upper 60s this evening, but no sleet lately.

• 2 weeks later...

It may be the DVD "region code".  The US is Region 1, Europe is Region 2 and Australia is Region 4.  See Wikipedia DVD Region Codes for an explanation.  Australian stand alone DVD players do not have the region code enforcement, but your PC might have it (read down under "Standalone DVD Players" on that Wiki page for the reference to the High Court of Australia's ruling). 

Some PCs enforce the region code with firmware, built into the drive (if your computer is new, it will be firmware based).  If the computer is a bit older, it could have a DVD drive that is doing it by software, and you can bypass it.  You'll have to Google around a bit with the exact model number of your DVD drive in your PC.  Its not illegal to circumvent it in Australia since your High Court is manned with judges with brains (as opposed to ours in the US).

I don't know that the region code is the reason you are having trouble, but it's something to check!