Gaff Rig Plans

PaulS

You'll have to contact a designer to draw up an new sail plan and related equipment/structure.

I'm assuming you have a Bermudian rigged ketch. If this is the case it might be possible to save some of your chain plate locations, but don't be surprised if many have to move substantially. The CE on a gaffer is generally in a different location then a Bermudian rig, which usually requires the mast, shrouds and their related hardware all have to move. In addition you'll have structural considerations, such as mast steps, partners, etc. to consider.

There isn't a short cut with this type of change, you have to balance the rig over the boat's other design compromises.

With these types of modifications, it's often best to consult the original designer if possible. They may already have drawn up something similar for someone else previously. If not, they'll know the design better then anyone and would be most suited to perform the task.

In short, you'll need a pro. There are many very capable designers that can handle this type of job. If you'd like to discuss it further, then drop me an email (click on my name).

Thanks for the info, it is a Bermudian rigged ketch, if it needs a total rebuild I might reconsider. Let me get my ducks in a row (obtain original sail plan and an accurate as built deck plan) before i waste any forum time and effort. Thanks again, Paul 

I think PAR is right on this one.  Besides the CE ("center of effort") that changes, there are some recalculations in terms of sail area that has to be made.  I remember corresponding with a guy that changed a gaffer to a bermudan rig, and he had quite a bit of trouble sailing the little boat (it was a Weekender).  He kept the same sail area, but with the taller bermudan rig the boat was "squirrelly".  His experimentation didn't cost that much with temporary polytarp sails, but I imagine it could get expensive with traditional sailcloth!

I'm very familiar with the design and the main is considerable aft of the Bermudan location as  gaff. There are substantial other differences as well, such as the length and scantlings of the sprit, location of the mizzen (also further aft), both mast steps and the chainplate locations.

Bruce doesn't charge a lot for his plans and if you call him, I'm sure he'd be happy to send you just what you need. The cost of a full set of plans is a just a fraction of what your new rig redo will cost, when all is said and done, why cut corners on the most important element of the project.