Another Spindrift 12 goes 3D...Yippee

Greg Luckett

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate one part of this forum.  If I write something in this text box, then try adding an attachment that is too big, it stops the post and deletes all the written text too.

Here are the smaller pics of the modified mast support web, without the explaination that I wrote before.

post-65-12949767263_thumb.jpg

post-65-129497672671_thumb.jpg

post-65-129497672702_thumb.jpg

Thanks Garry! :)

It sure is nice having weather warm enough to make the resin and hardner thin enough to apply as it should be, and it cures so nice and FAST!  I may need to switch to the slower hardner, as the pots are getting very warm towards the end of the application, which is about 10 to 15 minutes per batch.  No smokers yet and I do like the speed of the hardning.

Greg-  White oak and epoxy don't get along.  Bond won't hold.  We just had a guy in class want to use oak for the gunwales on a spindrift 10.  Graham vehemently vetoed it, even though the wood had been bought and cut.

We used walnut alternated w/ fir on one of the Opti's we built.  Looked good.  Seemed to bond OK.  Another good combination is to use mahogany as the dark wood.  Also bonds well.

John

Hmmm?  I have been using white oak glued with epoxy for several years now.  Two years ago I repaired the transom of an old Oday 10 using white oak.  It is still in fine shape.  Currently on my spindrift 12, I have some white oak stringers (I like the strength better than the sassafras) and also strips that have been glued onto the gunwhales.  It seems to glue up just fine.  There are some variences in white oak species according to the July/Aug 2008 Wooden Boat, pg 5., so maybe that accounts for the reputation of not gluing well with epoxy?  I have been using West Systems 105 Resin and hardners, and thickners.  I honestly cannot see any difference in the way the white oak glues up.  I have also managed to glue up teak with it, but never for structural details, just trim that had cracked.  For boat building I tend to use yellow pine, sassafras, white oak, and mahogany.  I prefer the sassafras, 2nd the white oak.  The white oak I have been using comes from the lower Michigan pennisula.  It is very pretty, hard, durable wood.

Greg,

See, I knew it wouldn't be that easy. Actually, I've been looking at Douglas fir for the mast. A couple lumber yards carry it in 2x's up to 24'. I have only looked at one lumber yard so far, the wood was pretty knotty, but should be able to get enough strips.

Thank you, Steve.  All compliments are very much appreciated! :D ;D

I had planned to finish it by the end of May and as you can see, it is about 80% done now.  I do not trust my crystal ball anymore, but it would certainly be nice to splash before the season is over.  Sam and Ben plan to attend sailing school the end of this month and we hope they will be sailing the Oday 10 and the Spindrift 12 before the season ends.  We are planning to take the Oday and the canoe for a weekend RV camping trip soon, as well.  Darn it but this summer is passing fast.  I really need to move south and found that I like the Sikeston, MO, area.  It is not too far from family in any direction, but it does sit on top of that New Madrid fault system.  If it were not for the distance from aging parents and my grand children and children, we would head off to NC and pester Graham and Carla for a while.... ;D.

I am working on building the CB trunk and locating it today, stopped by the PC to check email and get off my feet for a while.  Back to it now. :)

Bye.

Installed the beam for the transom seat and the beam for the C/B trunk.  The trunk pieces are fabricated and are in the epoxy and assemble stage.  I hope to get it mounted up in the next couple of days, then the boat can be rolled over to get busy shaping out the hull and fiberglassing it up.  It will need the keel installed at that point too.

post-65-129497673174_thumb.jpg

post-65-129497673208_thumb.jpg

post-65-129497673244_thumb.jpg

Since it was getting close to the time for cutting out the C/B trunk slot, we rolled the boat over for the first time to finish the hull seams.  There are still wires in the keel area that need removed too.  Now for the finishing and the fabrication of a keel, then another roll over to position and mark the C/B trunk for cutting. 

post-65-129497673277_thumb.jpg

Randy C.,

I cannot take that bet.  I do not know where you are in your build...LOL.  Thanks though, just the same. :)

I finished the taping just as it got dark yesterday, cutting out the few air pockets that were created this morning.  I will redo those later today.

I have been fabricating the keel this morning and am nearly finished shaping it.  Now to figure out how to attach it.  Maybe I can get one of the boys to sit under the cradle and do the drilling and screwing?  I am too old and fat to want to crawl under there.  Another alternative is to sit the boat on its transom, then I can get to both sides easily.  Actually, I like that idea best.

Once the keel is on, the CB trunk can be positioned and cut out the hull.  I ordered some carbon from Duckworks and will wait to get that before finishing the CB trunk.  I am going to coat the bottom with the carbon epoxy mix too, but not cloth the bottom.  Opinions/advice folks?

Thanks,

:)