Everglades Challenge

Tom Lathrop

For those interested in tracking the Southern Skimmer in the Everglades Challenge, here are the instructions.  Graham left yesterday evening for St Petersburg.

Tracking Southern Skimmer Via the Internet

To track Southern Skimmer follow the steps below.

Log onto the Global Wave web site:

Go to http://66.46.215.163/gwvas/home

Click on

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doug and Mike are in Orlando.  Plan to go to St. Pete today (Thursday).  Winds are predicted to be 5-10 from the north at the start with an incoming tide.  They will be NE then E and, by Sunday SE.  We all need to be around Cape Sable by the shift to SE and South!

Good luck to all three Core Sounds (including the one on steroids)!

Tom

Could you list the mast height above deck and the sail area main and mizzen for the three B & B boats that are in the race. Also the sail area of any other sails being carried. I think it would be fun to know how much canvas these boats are spreading as they make their way down the coast.

Thanks

Joe,

I don't know just how many sails Allan is carrying on the CS20 with its working sails of 155 sq ft plus a mizzen staysail.  I hope he has the staysail since the wind looks light in the forecast.

Southern Skimmer has about 260 sq ft working sail plus an asymmetric spinnaker on the removable bowsprit and a mizzen staysail.  All up, Skimmer can carry over 550 sq ft but has never had all four sails up at once.  I can tell you that with the spinnaker pulling in a moderate breeze, there is  a lot of power for such a light boat and she really flies.

Alan (aka SOS) and Paul (aka Dances With Sandy Bottom) are carrying the mizzen staysail on their boat Dawn Patrol.  Paul's mother Dawn (aka SB), after whom the boat is named, is holding the other end of the phone.  Their website http://www.sailnaway.blogspot.com/ has a friend doing "live coverage" of their effort.  It's a great site and I check it frequently.

I'm curious why I could not get a position on Southern Skimmer--last one listed is days old.

Just talked to Graham via relay with Carla.  They are off and sailing well in about 10mph just forward of the beam with the mizzen staysail up.  The Tornado and Randy Smyth are ahead.  Allan in the CS20 is not too far behind and the Chief in Tridarka is behind them.  The Tornado is a very fast catamaran sailed by a couple of highly ranked Tornado sailors.  I don't know just what Smyth is sailing but he is probably the most prominent multihull sailor in the USA.

Position report should show up shortly.

Wow,

It looks like Graham and Randy have their hands full. Am I right there are three multihulls ahead of Southern Skimmer?  Randy Smyth is his tribal name FrontalLobotomy? If so he has a pretty fancy looking trimaran. There is a clip of his boat on the Watertibe site under Challenge Viewer.

It's interesting to learn the name of the boat captained by SOS and crewed by DancesWithSandybottom (Dawn Patrol).  Last I heard when we were moving the boat out of the basement a week ago there was controversy over the name.  Paul liked "Dawn Patrol" in honor of his lovely wife, Dawn was pulling for "Dragonfly" due to the speed, beauty and and double-winged anatomy and alan was an avocate of "Flying Squirrel" to remember a midnight corn starch pillager in his apartment (as well as the speed and agility connotations).  I like all three names.

Today I happened on something I found interesting: a post at Alan's site mentioned that his mother had passed them in her own kayak!  I then found Sandy Bottom listed among the racers at WaterTribe.com, and from a post there found her website.  It turns out that Alan comes by his adventurous spirit and athleticism naturally: Dawn is a veteran of several Everglades Challenges, an adventure kayaker, and herself a triathelete!  That's an inspiration for me, since I'm guessing I am about her age.

Sounds like an interesting race. From what I can piece together from the watertribe.com site, Randy Smyth ( trimaran ) has dropped out with mechanical problems. Archangel is also having mechanical problems but plans to continue after rest and repairs. That leaves one multihull in front of Graham. I think way in front.

Alan and Paul are not far behind Graham, and Doug is a little back of Dawn Patrol. Winds have been stronger than expected.

Tom,

If you hear any more details please let us know. I hope you do not mind me chiming in here but I am so excited I can't help myself.

Sounds like an interesting race. From what I can piece together from the watertribe.com site, Randy Smyth ( trimaran ) has dropped out with mechanical problems. Archangel is also having mechanical problems but plans to continue after rest and repairs. That leaves one multihull in front of Graham. I think way in front.

Alan and Paul are not far behind Graham, and Doug is a little back of Dawn Patrol. Winds have been stronger than expected.

Tom,

If you hear any more details please let us know. I hope you do not mind me chiming in here but I am so excited I can't help myself.

The more who can find info and post it, the merrier we will be.  I do know that Tornados are very fast and Skimmer is no match if conditions favor the cat.  Rough conditions are tough on the multihull crews and that favors the monohull.

Joe,

You are not going to get a number.  The spinnaker can be flown with benefit with the wind further forward and further aft than the staysail.  There is greater separation between the spinnaker and the other sails than with the staysail.  The spinnaker is much larger than the staysail.  In short, the spinnaker is a much more powerful sail.